GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to get new rims for 2016 GTI autobahn w/ PP

baydestrian

Hello,

I am new to the group and new to VW. I used to drive a 2000 Honda Civic before picking this car up. I wanted to ask you guys what I need to know about rims/wheels. I don't really know too much about offsets and whatnot. I don't really know what to research. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Hello,

I am new to the group and new to VW. I used to drive a 2000 Honda Civic before picking this car up. I wanted to ask you guys what I need to know about rims/wheels. I don't really know too much about offsets and whatnot. I don't really know what to research. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated

Neuspeed and VMR offer wheels with 57.1mm center bore, for a direct fit to your hubs (no rings required). Might be a good start looking there.

Your stock wheels are 18x7.5 ET49. A popular wheel spacer kit to make the stock wheels flush to the fenders includes 15mm front spacers and 20mm rear spacers.

A good website to use for calculating how flush new wheels would be is http://www.willtheyfit.com .

From my notes:
- 8" ET45 = 10mm past stock
- 8" ET42 = 13.5mm past stock
- 8” ET40 = 15mm past stock
- 8.5" ET45 = 17mm past stock
- 8” ET35 = 20mm past stock

Keep asking questions, keep searching, you will figure it out quite quickly.

Welcome!

teemmy

Ready to race!
Good information per above.

I'm personally a fan of 18s, 18x8.5 ET45 is the best size to go with IMO - you can fit tires up to 245/40/18 comfortably.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Appreciate the advice! So if 18 is the diameter of the rim, and I'm assuming 7.5 is inches for the width of the tire... what's the ET49?

49 offset

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Budget, intended use (track/street/summer/winter/etc), desired look (hella flush, don't care, etc), anything else about what you want would help give us an idea of what you want. Not trying to be rude, but wheels are so based on individualized taste, without any good info, everyone recommending anything is just a shot in the dark. If you're really unsure of where to start, I'd start by spending some time in the Mk7 photos forum and seeing if anything catches your eye. If the wheel info is not in the post, PM the guy and ask.

I do agree with the previous posters though, I think 18s are the sweet spot and the size Teemmy posted, 18x8.5 +45, is the wheel size I run as a daily.

baydestrian

Also, here's a pic of my baby

Attachments

• 54727307_10156974398119019_4521320984556339200_n.jpg
    54727307_10156974398119019_4521320984556339200_n.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 171

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Running 18x8.5 +45 w/245/40/18 PS4S, perfect combo IMO.

Nice look! Thanks for the info. I have some understanding of the sizes but like the OP tend to be fuzzy on fits. If going to the 245 size are spacers or anything required, or does the ET 45 vs. 49 (I'm guessing?) prevent it from rubbing, etc.?

DIB_MK7

Nice look! Thanks for the info. I have some understanding of the sizes but like the OP tend to be fuzzy on fits. If going to the 245 size are spacers or anything required, or does the ET 45 vs. 49 (I'm guessing?) prevent it from rubbing, etc.?

No spacers are required with my current setup, I rub vary rarely (3-4 times in the last 6 months) when going fast and hitting a big dip in the road. The fender screw mod would alleviate any rubbing however. The offset has the greatest effect on rubbing (scrub radius), anything over +43 on a 245 and stock suspension seems to rub. You could always step down to a 234/40, but I like the "meaty" look of the 245s.