GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED DRL Install - ACC Wire?

HRouq

Hello, I've purchased a set of LED DRL that are made to fit where the fog lights usually go (I only have a plastic cover due to the S trim).
It says that one of the wires needs to be connected to ACC+ (which is what sends power when the key is turned in the ignition), but I can't find that ACC+ point where I should connect the DRL's. Would anyone be informed on that?

amullo

Ready to race!
Should be fairly easy to find using a voltmeter and tap into the wires feeding the headlight. Does your car have any stock DRL?

HRouq

Okay, and yes I believe they do, I have the halogen headlights with halogen DRL's.

amullo

Ready to race!
In that case, just splice the ACC+ wire into the lead that goes hot on your drl bulb. H15 bulbs maybe? easy as pie. If your not able to do it yourself, any local autoshop or carstereo place should be able to wire it in an hour, tops!

HRouq

Got it, that shouldn't be too hard with the help of a couple friends that know a bit about this. Thank you!

HRouq

Hi, I haven't installed them yet but here's the picture from the manufacturer:

I will post a picture once I have installed them (hopefully this weekend).

HRouq

The thing is I have the S model so no fog lights, which is the reason why I chose those DRL's. The quality is pretty good, although I haven't plugged them in to a power source yet.

iwasalive

I'm in the same boat as you, I have the Trendline so no fogs but I really want to install them.

Im curious on if these actually make any difference on how much coverage you get on the side of the car. I'd appreciate it if you could take some night time shots with them on/off?

The main issue i have is that the reflectors do not have a very wide beam and i want more visibility when cornering. Will these ones make a difference?

HRouq

I don't believe that LED drl's would make a difference in the light coverage on the side of the car, as they are primarily for looks/to be seen by others better in daylight.
Fog lights might add a little bit more coverage but not a lot as they are pointed forward.
I haven't installed my lights yet and might not be able to for a few more weeks but I will post pictures as soon as they will be installed.