GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control - All Season Tires....

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
I've done about 4500 miles on my 7.5 GTI and did my first launch control yesterday...

I've only waited this amount of time because I just hadn't got round to it/been on right road rather than being precious about any run in. Ive done plenty of fast starts of the line at lights etc...

I was really unimpressed with it, and am pretty sure it is faster just planting your foot normally... I got a lot of wheel spin...

Dumb question... is the launch control programmed on the basis off summer/performance tires or is it really just for show with a bit of wheel spin programmed in?

Mine came with Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons, I plan to change to Pilot Sports in the spring.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Stock tires just suck.

They're for highway cruising/mpg not digs off the line and grip in the corners. It's faster to take off planting your foot because you're modulating the throttle based on the traction available. Launch control doesn't give a shit and is all "I'm gonna send it, fuck traction"

MadMen

Ready to race!
I would also assume the roads are fairly cold in DC this time of year. Launch control on FWD is useless in cold weather, and even in ideal conditions will require some skilled pedal modulation.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Launch control would be programmed based on wheel spin and would not consider type of tires used directly. As mentioned earlier, stock tires were terrible for most people here and wouldnt help in this case.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
I would also assume the roads are fairly cold in DC this time of year. Launch control on FWD is useless in cold weather, and even in ideal conditions will require some skilled pedal modulation.

Was about 50 degrees when I did it yesterday. I think launch control is probably a waste of time :) only time my foot is a bit smarter than a computer....

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Launch control would be programmed based on wheel spin and would not consider type of tires used directly. As mentioned earlier, stock tires were terrible for most people here and wouldnt help in this case.

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me the importance of tires. Rubber area the size of a piece of letter paper is all that keeps you planted. Cant wait till spring so I can justify putting new ones on!

Navi

Autocross Champion
On stock tires?

Why? Just why?

On a serious note, stock tires suck for regular driving so assuredly they will suck for anything performance oriented such as a launch. Throw some sticky rubber on those rimmies. (I didn't read any of the other posts. I'm sure someone already said what i said...)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me the importance of tires. Rubber area the size of a piece of letter paper is all that keeps you planted.

Yeah it will bring in day and night difference. I just cant understand why would VW use these crappy tires on their so called performance hatch. If it was just for cost, they gotta change their decision making process.

On stock tires?

Why? Just why?

Pretty soon you will see stock tires lovers here saying how great those tires are.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Launch control IMO is a gimmick that most use use once (me) if ever (99+%) That said, certainly its effect on stock, vs. performance tires would be significant.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've done about 4500 miles on my 7.5 GTI and did my first launch control yesterday...

I've only waited this amount of time because I just hadn't got round to it/been on right road rather than being precious about any run in. Ive done plenty of fast starts of the line at lights etc...

I was really unimpressed with it, and am pretty sure it is faster just planting your foot normally... I got a lot of wheel spin...

Dumb question... is the launch control programmed on the basis off summer/performance tires or is it really just for show with a bit of wheel spin programmed in?

Mine came with Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons, I plan to change to Pilot Sports in the spring.

Put ESC into sport mode (press and hold the ESC button until message flashes in MFD). Use OBDEleven to disable starting vibrations and torque limiter. Get better tires.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
On stock tires?

Why? Just why?

On a serious note, stock tires suck for regular driving so assuredly they will suck for anything performance oriented such as a launch. Throw some sticky rubber on those rimmies. (I didn't read any of the other posts. I'm sure someone already said what i said...)

Fair enough... Got car just before the winter season... it snows a bit not enough in the DC area to justify snow tires for winter, but am definitely getting Pilot Sports in March!