GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I didn't know FBO R56 MINI S were so slow

mk7.5life

Passed Driver's Ed
Legit just cruising to work, kid pulls up recklessly next to me, and would not go away... window down, apparently fbo... 45 roll instantly 3-4 car lenghths, and gapping... gets next to me like dumbfounded smiling, questions if i'm tuned... nope. I laugh. goodbye.

2018 GTI SE Manual ...Stock :D

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an R53 Mini Cooper S (Supercharged version not R56 Turbo)

I had FBO, no tune. It was dog slow, my 93 Del Sol with a B18C VTEC engine beat it. Every. Single. Time.

However, I also fully admit that there was no more enjoyable car to drive than that Mini (disregard Miata's). The HK sound system with 8 speakers was a very decent setup, and the sheer joy of driving that thing with an uncorked supercharger was addicting.
Instant "dick" car. Noone could get into it and not drive it like a go-kart.
But never once did I ever think it was fast :) (just around corners and on track)

VOA West

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an R53 Mini Cooper S (Supercharged version not R56 Turbo)

I had FBO, no tune. It was dog slow, my 93 Del Sol with a B18C VTEC engine beat it. Every. Single. Time.

However, I also fully admit that there was no more enjoyable car to drive than that Mini (disregard Miata's). The HK sound system with 8 speakers was a very decent setup, and the sheer joy of driving that thing with an uncorked supercharger was addicting.
Instant "dick" car. Noone could get into it and not drive it like a go-kart.
But never once did I ever think it was fast :) (just around corners and on track)

I have a stock R56 Cooper S and its more fun to drive then my GTI.

mk7.5life

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a R53 JWC, with a few modifications... was a lot of fun to drive, but honestly ... my gti in the corners, and in general superceeds it in every way! Don't get me wrong, they're fun, but my 18 se is far superior! I've had so many hatches/sports cars Subaru wrx, mini jwc, mk6, audi tt Quattro, srt-4, slowbalt SS, mustang... this by far puts way more smiles on my face than them all, VW did this car right! :)

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Oh it's Mini talk!

My R53 is still one of my favorite cars owned, family just outgrew the size.

It was an '03 John Cooper Works that was tastefully modded.
The JCW's of that era were either 200hp or 210hp depending on year.
They came with a different/ported head, different super charger pulley and catback.

I added some GP model parts including the intake and bigger intercooler along with a larger cam for good measure.

It was so much fun to drive, but felt about as fast as a stock mk7 gti does.

I still miss the supercharger whine

mk7.5life

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh it's Mini talk!

My R53 is still one of my favorite cars owned, family just outgrew the size.

It was an '03 John Cooper Works that was tastefully modded.
The JCW's of that era were either 200hp or 210hp depending on year.
They came with a different/ported head, different super charger pulley and catback.

I added some GP model parts including the intake and bigger intercooler along with a larger cam for good measure.

It was so much fun to drive, but felt about as fast as a stock mk7 gti does.

I still miss the supercharger whine[/QUOT

I had the exact r53, had the limited edition bbs wheels... I bought it one owner, with 32k miles 2 years ago lol ... then sold it for a small profit, car was incredible! had a smaller pulley, and intake on it, felt like a rocket in the corners, and the whine from the supercharger... orgasmic lol :D ... but my mk7.5 puts so many more smiles on my face... and is super practical! buddy of mine has a r53 s with 325whp... then drives a mk7.5 as a daily ;)

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I had the exact r53, had the limited edition bbs wheels... I bought it one owner, with 32k miles 2 years ago lol ... then sold it for a small profit, car was incredible! had a smaller pulley, and intake on it, felt like a rocket in the corners, and the whine from the supercharger... orgasmic lol :D ... but my mk7.5 puts so many more smiles on my face... and is super practical! buddy of mine has a r53 s with 325whp... then drives a mk7.5 as a daily ;)

I had H&R springs / Bilsteins and a big rear bar.
It handled like it was on rails. It was the first car I had experienced lift off oversteer in, which is a bit unsettling with such a short wheel base!

Mine was bought in 2010 with 72k miles for around $10k. I thought I got a decent deal on it. Electric blue! I miss her::(

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I have driven and raced my buddy's R56 Mini Cooper S and he could pull on me for about a second before my turbo spooled but once I was in boost I gapped him by about 4 cars.

It sure is a blast to drive though, so light and nimble it almost makes the GTI feel like a big car.. Also the exhaust on that car is one of the best stock 4cyl exhausts I've ever heard. I prefer the transmission feel in the Mini to the GTI as well. All these things considered however, I would take the GTI every day of the week.

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
My R53 JCW which is modded and puts down 225 at the wheels is quicker than a stock GTI and more fun to drive. It's more raw and visceral. Now, there is no doubt that the GTI is a better all around car and is one tune away from being quicker than my car, but it there is something about the GTI that makes it a bit more sterile driving experience.

Oh, and the R53 looks better, hands down!

21032654_10212572273434559_5366374089032854311_n.jpg