GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #409
cuda2000

Drives: 2017 Golf sportwagen 4 motion and 2010 Audi A4 Qua
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanUK View Post
Buy new or used JB1?

I know George is moderating here and a very very helpful resource... no offence intended asking this question: I have limited funds and am considering buying a used JB1 for my MKVII (2018) 4motion sportwagen and wondering if I need to find someone selling the "Group 3" version or if the "Group" is firmware related and can be updated/changed on any "box"?

Also relevant if I'm buying new because my Golf is a bit of a "niche" vehicle here in Canada and I'd want to sell it used one day... would be good to know I have the option of selling to a wider audience when that time comes!

Thanks for any and all assistance.
All the mk7 jb1 and jb4 are compatible. George put the "groups" so that he knew from sales reporting what they were being sold for. In other words, a jb1 used on a golf R will work just fine on your sportwagen. You should buy the pc data cable from burger tuning son that you can change map settings though if you buy used, because the prior owner may have changed settings. I'm running jb1 on my 2017 sportwagen 4motion for the last 8,000 mikes and it is awesome! I put it on at 2,000 miles, and I'm running map 6 now. Map 1 is good, but map 6 is better, with the settings I posted a few posts up in this forum.
cuda2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #410
cuda2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Smooth View Post
We have done quite a lot of testing recently using the JB4 on 87 and have a idea more or less what will work.
Set boost safety to 3.0 and you should be good for 87.
Cool I will try that with my next tank of gas!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #411
Lord_Flexington

Drives: '15 GTI LP PP|'01 CBR 929
can someone please tell me where plug A IS? trying to get this map 6 rolling but cant find the plug on the golf
EBAY MAFIA #1
2015 GTI S PP//JB1//DP//INJEN CAI//GFB DV+//VMRV705//VWR SPRINGS//PZERO ROSSO//SPULEN SS//RACESENG//OBD11//Deep Pearl Gang//BIG WANG GANG

P1 GTI TCR-->http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25994
Lord_Flexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #412
cuda2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Flexington View Post
can someone please tell me where plug A IS? trying to get this map 6 rolling but cant find the plug on the golf
It is on top of the engine, near the intake. It is a hard to install, but remove the intake hose and it is easier. See pics here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/rU480jy

There is another thing you can do instead though.... you can get the signal from plug C.
You can completely remove plug A by splicing the purple plug A wire into the #8 wire on Plug C. I got these instructions from Burger. This is how he wired newer versions of JB1.
See pictures here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/rLYOkbR
Old 05-31-2018, 02:07 AM   #413
Lord_Flexington

Drives: '15 GTI LP PP|'01 CBR 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2000 View Post
It is on top of the engine, near the intake. It is a hard to install, but remove the intake hose and it is easier. See pics here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/rU480jy

There is another thing you can do instead though.... you can get the signal from plug C.
You can completely remove plug A by splicing the purple plug A wire into the #8 wire on Plug C. I got these instructions from Burger. This is how he wired newer versions of JB1.
See pictures here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/rLYOkbR
ah ok i think I found out. Its near a few other plugs right next to the charge pipe (turbo outlet pipe)
EBAY MAFIA #1
2015 GTI S PP//JB1//DP//INJEN CAI//GFB DV+//VMRV705//VWR SPRINGS//PZERO ROSSO//SPULEN SS//RACESENG//OBD11//Deep Pearl Gang//BIG WANG GANG

P1 GTI TCR-->http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25994
Lord_Flexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #414
MANU01

Drives: 2017 Golf 1.8T 5MT HiLine
Installed the JB1 about 2 months ago, maybe two weeks after taking delivery of the new car.
I notice that I can ear the turbo spool up and whine (expected), but more so, the turbo pressure being released (BOV?) when off the throttle. Is that normal?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #415
George Smooth

Drives: Golf 7 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANU01 View Post
Installed the JB1 about 2 months ago, maybe two weeks after taking delivery of the new car.
I notice that I can ear the turbo spool up and whine (expected), but more so, the turbo pressure being released (BOV?) when off the throttle. Is that normal?
This is normal. The release noise will get louder the hotter it gets since the car boost more.
The noise you want to avoid is a chirping noise on spool up from 3000-3600 in a high gear. If so use map 6 to dial boost down a bit in that rpm range.
George Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #416
Slothy

Drives: GSW 4Motion
What are people in the NE running for the fuel loop on a base Map 1 setting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slothy is offline   Reply With Quote