GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump leaking and mysterious engine oil leaks

charleschung19950904

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

I apologize first if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I took my car into a local shop for exhaust alignment the other day and discovered an engine oil leak. The shop recommended me to take it to the dealership to be checked under warranty.

The guys at the dealership couldn't find where the oil leak was coming from because the area was so greasy they just couldnt tell, so they cleaned it all up and told me to drive for a couple days and then go back to see if they can find where the oil is leaking from. They also found that my water pump is leaking coolant. And that my 034 dogbone mount has snapped.

I do not drive my car aggressively; i never really go over 3500 rpm; i do not do launch control

My mods:
Car is @ 25,000 km currently

Eurodyne Stage 2 High Torque Map
CTS Turbo catless downpipe
CTS Turbo intake
GFB DV+

Note: No intercooler, still using stock, didn't think necessary cuz canadian summer isn't that hot and i do not drive the car crazy

What do you guys think can be the problems here? Or is it just that these stock parts on the Mk7 GTi tend to fail easily?

Thank you!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The water pump design has been pretty fool proof, but I've replaced them on a few Mk6's which use the same style even at low mileage (although your's is lower by a little).

Most common oil leaks are due to issues with the oil filter housing or o-ring. On the older engines rear main seals also had issues, and some Mk7's have had issues just like the water pump.

The 034 dogbone mount is known to bend and snap. It is stiffer then the rubber of the mount, so the rubber can deform it eventually causing it to break.

You can also remove the GFB DV+ as it is know to cause issues, although normally power issues and not oil leak issues from what I know. GFB is a great company, but the stock DV for this engine is designed extremely well and can handle lots of power with no issues.

Also note just because I say things are known to have issues or what not, doesn't mean everyone has issues, just that they have been reported before.

Edit: Also start driving your car more aggressively when safely able, the engine will thank you. The proper way of de-carboning the valves has you driving at 4k for 15-20 mins, you don't have to do this all the time, but it cleans up the engine and should be done every so often, like say every 15-20k km (some one might suggest sooner, and it most certainly wouldn't hurt anything).

Last edited: