GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG eco mode and speed limiter issues

Scottiedogg

Hi all,

Been having a look around on here,google and other forums and can’t see any other mentions of this so posting for advice.

Noticed on the M42 the other morning that when rolling in eco mode with the speed limiter active due to the speed cameras, that when attempting to accelerate back up to speed the car hesitates for a few seconds before kicking back into gear.

I had the limiter set to 60 and was rolling towards a slower vehicle at around 50 mph. Changed lanes as I hit the gas pedal but nothing happened. The rev gauge blipped to approx 1500 rpm then dropped back to idle before kicking into gear and accelerating as normal. It did this a few times on the journey and feels like the limiter kicking in even though well below the set speed.

On a quieter section of the road I was able to replicate it and counted to five before the car kicked in and accelerated from 50 to 60mph. I also got it do this at 60 to 70mph with the limiter set at 75 mph.

Only seems to do this when the speed limiter is active so the obvious answer in the sort term is don’t use eco and the speed limiter but there’s clearly a fault in the system and I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what was the cause and remedy?

Haven’t had chance to do a scan on it yet to see if there’s any fault codes logged but will try to do so over the weekend.

Thanks in advance

Scottie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I’ll be using my GTi in the morning and will try and replicate what you did to see if it does the same, I’ll report back with my findings!

Of course, when you are in eco mode and not pressing the accelerator pedal it knocks the car out of gear if its a DSG, I don’t think there’s normally any delay when engaging again though, your sig doesn’t give any car details so I don’t know what car, year or transmission you have!

Last edited:

Scottiedogg

Yeah sorry I’ve not worked out to add my signature details yet.

My cars a 2015 Golf GT estate 2.0 TDI with 6 speed DSG.

Thanks.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had a chance earlier to try this and can confirm that it is normal behaviour as I thought, it’s nothing to do with the speed limiter, it’s down to the fact eco mode knocks the car out of gear when coasting, couple this with the reduced throttle response eco mode creates and you get what feels like hesitation when pushing the throttle, put it in normal mode and it won’t do it, there isn’t a problem it’s just how eco mode is. It’ll do it with the limiter on or off, it won’t make any difference.

Scottiedogg

No it’s not normal behaviour as eco on its own works fine and kicks in to gear straight away. When the speed limiter is active it takes a few seconds to accelerate.

I’ll see if I can get it a fault scan done this afternoon.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I think you may be looking for an issue that doesn’t exist! The car will drive you insane if you let it!