GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sirius tips?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
There are multiple reports of Sirius extending people's subs without their permission that either paid with a credit card since expired or with a check. When the credit card was declined, they sued the customer.

Don't believe it? Just look at how many states have sued SiriusXM over false billing practices.

My point, which you conveniently chose to ignore, is that Sirius XM will sue a customer in a heartbeat. You can decideif you think that they'll sue a customer who gets their service by deception.

Or you can stick your head in the sand and continue to think that Sirius XM is a great company looking out for the consumer.

I'm really busy listening to Howard Stern and the Grateful Dead channel with my new awesome free demo, so I don't have a lot of time - but I was responding to your Mr. Legal Eagle Ned Flanders talk (that NOBODY cares about) on the 3 month demo. I will do it again in three months time.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My sister had a Nissan Rogue(for real) that had satellite radio for the entirety of a 3 year lease despite her never having an account.

They don't really seem to be on the ball when it comes to subscriptions and such. I know a few other people that had it free for months after cancelling :p

cb1111

My sister had a Nissan Rogue(for real) that had satellite radio for the entirety of a 3 year lease despite her never having an account.

They don't really seem to be on the ball when it comes to subscriptions and such. I know a few other people that had it free for months after cancelling :p
True. Often, dealers will activate a radio as a loaner/demo and forget to turn it off. After you cancel, they may sometimes leave it on for a while longer or they may be running one of their "free" periods.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The government never should have let Sirius and XM merge or if one bought out the other because it eliminated competition. But 18 states are suing to stop the T-Mo buyout out of Sprint which just keeps AT&T and Verizon dominate.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I agree with CB that scamming free Sirius is a minor crime...I would be surprised at prosecution but more likely bored by their short play list

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
True. Often, dealers will activate a radio as a loaner/demo and forget to turn it off. After you cancel, they may sometimes leave it on for a while longer or they may be running one of their "free" periods.

Interesting. Maybe this is why my Sirius is still working 13 months later :confused:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The government never should have let Sirius and XM merge or if one bought out the other because it eliminated competition. But 18 states are suing to stop the T-Mo buyout out of Sprint which just keeps AT&T and Verizon dominate.

Now that we have 10 years or so to evaluate the merger (which I was also against at the time), I think it's been a success. SiriusXM programming really is great and covers such a wide variety of interests, both musically and otherwise. If the merger hadn't gone through, we probably wouldn't have any satellite radio at all right now, they probably both would have died off. I find their customer service to be pretty decent, all things considered, and especially when comparing to someone like DirecTV, which is a complete mongolian clusterfarkle since AT&T took over.

I'm a T-Mo customer and I'm all for the Sprint merger. Sprint would definitely die or be absorbed by someone else anyways, and I truly believe that making T-Mo bigger and stronger makes them a better competitor against the Big Two. Time will tell.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Now that we have 10 years or so to evaluate the merger (which I was also against at the time), I think it's been a success. SiriusXM programming really is great and covers such a wide variety of interests, both musically and otherwise. If the merger hadn't gone through, we probably wouldn't have any satellite radio at all right now, they probably both would have died off. I find their customer service to be pretty decent, all things considered, and especially when comparing to someone like DirecTV, which is a complete mongolian clusterfarkle since AT&T took over.

I'm a T-Mo customer and I'm all for the Sprint merger. Sprint would definitely die or be absorbed by someone else anyways, and I truly believe that making T-Mo bigger and stronger makes them a better competitor against the Big Two. Time will tell.

I agree about T-Mo and that Sirius XM is really good. I just don't like the pricing game you have to play with Sirius XM. I'm paying $58 every three months and I read posts in this thread about guys paying $4.99 per month and I don't like that I'll have to call them to get a better price. Who knows if both would have survived but it would have been easier to get a competitive price if both did.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Well, it wasn't intentional, but when the dealer replaced my 5F module for the random reboots and navigation issues instead of just of updating the firmware to 755 as I requested, they (and I am guessing here) must have somehow got the Sirius radio codes all jacked up because when I cancelled, I still get Sirius. Initially, I thought that Sirius didn't cancel my subscription as I had requested but my online account shows that I have been cancelled for months, yet the kids can still listen to their channels when they are in the car... The replacement of the 5F module is the only thing I can think of as to why it still works.

I should note that I don't listen to Sirius that much - my kids do when they are in the car. I would have kept it had they allowed me to keep the $5/mo promotion w/o having to go through the process to call them every 6 months to get it.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
There are multiple reports of Sirius extending people's subs without their permission that either paid with a credit card since expired or with a check. When the credit card was declined, they sued the customer.

Don't believe it? Just look at how many states have sued SiriusXM over false billing practices.

My point, which you conveniently chose to ignore, is that Sirius XM will sue a customer in a heartbeat. You can decideif you think that they'll sue a customer who gets their service by deception.

Or you can stick your head in the sand and continue to think that Sirius XM is a great company looking out for the consumer.

I am a Sirius subscriber but no one in their right mind considers them a great company. The key is to get the 6 month or 1 year subscriptions for $5-6/month and call the day before it auto renews to cancel. They will play their games where they transfer you to their renewal dept and ultimately you renew at the same rate. It’s BS but it’s part of the game to get cheap satellite radio.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I agree about T-Mo and that Sirius XM is really good. I just don't like the pricing game you have to play with Sirius XM. I'm paying $58 every three months and I read posts in this thread about guys paying $4.99 per month and I don't like that I'll have to call them to get a better price. Who knows if both would have survived but it would have been easier to get a competitive price if both did.
It's pretty easy to get the discount.

Call up, pretend to cancel, they fold like a cheap suit.

Ta-da, you're in the cheap Sirius club. They get desperate quickly over the phone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am a Sirius subscriber but no one in their right mind considers them a great company. The key is to get the 6 month or 1 year subscriptions for $5-6/month and call the day before it auto renews to cancel. They will play their games where they transfer you to their renewal dept and ultimately you renew at the same rate. It’s BS but it’s part of the game to get cheap satellite radio.

I agree. It's hard to call them a great company when there's no competition to compare them to. I guess you're either satisfied or not.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

The key was to get the lifetime Select subscription back when Sirius was failing and they offered it. I'm on my 12th year now.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I just don't like the pricing game you have to play with Sirius XM. I'm paying $58 every three months and I read posts in this thread about guys paying $4.99 per month and I don't like that I'll have to call them to get a better price. Who knows if both would have survived but it would have been easier to get a competitive price if both did.

My last call was 8 minutes, start to finish (contrast that with my recent call to DirecTV that lasted over an hour). You really don't have to play any games to get the killer 5-month deal for $35 - you simply tell them that you need a better rate than you currently have or you can't keep the service. They will then look to see "what is available" and this is generally the first offer they make. I've renewed at that price 5-6 times now, always a very short and courteous call. You don't have to get mad and ask for "retention", or get passed to a different department - it's all quite painless.

I live in a very rural area where hitting seek on FM will net me about 3 stations across the entire dial, and only 2 that are in English, and those both suck. So SXM is very important to me. Glad they're still around.