GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Knob Adjustment

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Hey all, recently picked up the GS2 knob and installed it at the base of the shifter shaft. I’m finding it too low especially when I’ve got my elbow on the armrest and a mug in the cup holder.

Can the knob be installed higher up on the shaft within the limits of the dimpled area? Will there be any wobbling, or do I require the adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
I feel like you can definitely try to slide it up some and tighten it down, as it seems to slide down pretty far on the shifter shaft. I'd try it before buying the adapter, just be cautious of it sliding back down, maybe wrap some tape or something around the shaft just below the set screws.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Thanks. Going to give it a go, I have teflon tape wrapped around the shaft right now and it's solid so far. It was hard to tell because all the pictures online show it being installed at the lowest level, so I wasn't sure if it could be raised a tad.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Mine is raised as high as it can go while still being on the dimples. I put one wrap of electrical tape on the dimples to give the screws a little more bite and used blue loctite. Have had no wobbles or issues at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Mine is raised as high as it can go while still being on the dimples. I put one wrap of electrical tape on the dimples to give the screws a little more bite and used blue loctite. Have had no wobbles or issues at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Good to know, will do it later tonight. Thanks.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
I used blue as well

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
If you wiggle the knob ever so slightly with your index and thumb, does it move?

I can't tell if it's how it was or it's the knob a bit loose.

Navi

Autocross Champion
You need to buy the adapter form BFI that raises the height of it. Also wrap the shifter shaft in black electrical tape once then slide the BFI knob onto it. This gets rid of the play between the shift knob and the shaft it is on. Very important or else it feels cheap.

lol shaft
lol knob

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
You need to buy the adapter form BFI that raises the height of it. Also wrap the shifter shaft in black electrical tape once then slide the BFI knob onto it. This gets rid of the play between the shift knob and the shaft it is on. Very important or else it feels cheap.

lol shaft
lol knob

I'm good with the height it's at now. I wrapped the shaft with Tesa tape and it took some force to get the knob on, so I know it's on there real tight. Set screws are also holding on well with loctite.

What I'm asking is what degree of play is normal. I'm able to put my index, middle finger and thumb on the knob and wiggle it up and down. Obviously I don't normally do that, but I wasn't sure if that's how the knob was prior to the change to BFI.

Edit: Pull the knob off, seems like normal play. Carry on.

Last edited: