GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R tuning options w/ convenient switching

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I assume you've logged it and the car is happy. If timing maps for the Atlas are like the R, then sounds like it would work.

I would use map1 for 87, map2 for 91, and map6 for 93.

BTW. I'm currently running a JB1 on map1 with a boost safety of 3psi on my Atlas 2.0T running 87;)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Agree on all counts...just trying to answer the OP question not debate which platform is the best and why.

But OP is looking for this exact info on flash tunes, so what better reason to discuss the merits of GIAC or Cobb flash options?

Both would give him self-loading OTS ECU and DSG/TCU tunes if he goes flash over a JB4. Only Cobb would give him the options of custom tunes or expandability down the road.

Hopefully that helps OP.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Great info so far everyone, sticking to the topic pretty well :cool:

Just a point of clarification though, while the ability to accommodate lower octane on the fly is an absolute highest priority, the actual level of convenience after that is not a high priority (but breaking out a laptop would be a bit of a downer). In terms of Bluetooth vs AP vs a single click of a button, those are all equivalent to me. Low octane is only for like 1-2 road trips a year, or if I take my eyes off the full service attendant (yeah, New Jersey law) and he accidentally pours a bunch of reg before I fling the door open and grab the pump like a madman (yes, it's happened).

Really hard to beat this:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52995

You'll need to purchase the JB4 app for your phone also.

Or this, but you need the BT kit and the app:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52931

Do I need a Group 1? Those look like Group 3 and Group 2.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Great info so far everyone, sticking to the topic pretty well :cool:

Just a point of clarification though, while the ability to accommodate lower octane on the fly is an absolute highest priority, the actual level of convenience after that is not a high priority (but breaking out a laptop would be a bit of a downer). In terms of Bluetooth vs AP vs a single click of a button, those are all equivalent to me. Low octane is only for like 1-2 road trips a year, or if I take my eyes off the full service attendant (yeah, New Jersey law) and he accidentally pours a bunch of reg before I fling the door open and grab the pump like a madman (yes, it's happened).

Do I need a Group 1? Those look like Group 3 and Group 2.
I think group 1 through 6 are the same or something. Basically all the MQB 4 liters use the same.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
OP, considering your specific needs I think a JB4 on map 1 will do, get the bluetooth option and download the app for easy access from your phone

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I'd definitely be open to that if it truly works and doesn't go bad over time like gas does. I've only heard about it in passing.