Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Apropos, I was driving the twisties up in the Berkeley hills over the weekend, (not too aggressively since I had my wife and four year old with me) and this white MK7 GTI comes rolling up my ass. So I pick up the pace a bit to play a little, then I soon pull over since he obviously wants to get on with emulating Mario Andretti. He then just blows past me without even a honk or a wave! I expect I would get more from a Honda driver.

So if Mr. White MK7 GTI driver is on here, you sir are a douche. :mad:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'd certainly wave back, but I wouldn't initiate.
I have given a "nice car" and point when it was obvious that I and another GTI driver were looking at each others cars.
But yeah, I'm surprised at the near complete lack of camaraderie of other GTI drivers.

I would wave at the girl in your signature.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
To Sherifftruman, yes. Not doing the Jeep wave can get you hurt - lol.

This is truth. I was at the car wash in my 4Runner (yes, I put it through car washes, but not my GTI) a few weeks back. A Mk6 GTI was behind me, Jersey plates. We both got out of our cars to throw some trash in the barrel. I told the guy I had recently bought a Mk7 GTI and loved it. You'd have thought I was asking the guy to buy a magazine subscription. He couldn't get away fast enough. Not a car person I guess.

I've noticed that GTI drivers are pretty offish as a group. However, my "Oh Snap" license plate usually gets some attention from them if they approach me from behind. It also appears to be Honda bait. Also Camry with loud CBE bait - true story!
Not a car guy, at all. He knew he was about to get involved in a conversation he had zero ammo for lol. Also, a GTI at a meat grinder? Red flag!!!!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Apropos, I was driving the twisties up in the Berkeley hills over the weekend, (not too aggressively since I had my wife and four year old with me) and this white MK7 GTI comes rolling up my ass. So I pick up the pace a bit to play a little, then I soon pull over since he obviously wants to get on with emulating Mario Andretti. He then just blows past me without even a honk or a wave! I expect I would get more from a Honda driver.

I was in Berkeley Hills this weekend, and some guy and his family..

...oh wait. Nevermind.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I didn't know VW drivers would wave. I traded a MINI and we used to wave all the time, though the last few years lots of new drivers stopped. My wife has a Jeep and they all wave. I haven't seen anyone wave at me yet but maybe I'll start.
If you have a Wrangler and don't wave you'll wake up and the Jeep will be on blocks lol. Big no-no not to wave.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Hah. I've owned a YJ and a JKU.

JKU drivers are the GTI drivers of the Wrangler world. They have a newer Jeep and it has four doors, so some purists already look on them with disdain.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

I'll add the douche option to the poll just for him. Lol.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
To Sherifftruman, yes. Not doing the Jeep wave can get you hurt - lol

Haha true, although this is more a wrangler thing than anything. Too many econobox jeep crappers rolling around with people who just don't care.

I had a lifted commander with big tires, custom grill, etc. Modded wrangler guys and other commanders (unless they were soccer moms) were the only ones that gave me the jeep wave :( still, it was hell of a lot more love than I'm feeling in the GTI lol

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Hah. I've owned a YJ and a JKU.

JKU drivers are the GTI drivers of the Wrangler world. They have a newer Jeep and it has four doors, so some purists already look on them with disdain.
All the jeep guys where I work(JKs) park together 4 or 5 in a row. But the Wrangler Unlimiteds, they are forced to park in a different spot, but they too stick together. With their Sportwagons of the Jeeping world lol. If that's a fair comparison.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
All the jeep guys where I work(JKs) park together 4 or 5 in a row. But the Wrangler Unlimiteds, they are forced to park in a different spot, but they too stick together. With their Sportwagons of the Jeeping world lol. If that's a fair comparison.

Yep!

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I usually wave, but it's a habit carried over from my air-cooled days. Those guys are usually pretty cool, motors are hot though lol.

I usually throw a deuce, most times you can tell the people that are driving a car and the enthusiasts. Usually cause they'll look at your car.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

I drive a car of that description, but don't, unfortunately, live in Ca anymore (you can check out, but you can never leave), besides, I would have at least waved after being a such an asshat :D...but that brings up another question- Would we be even more pissed if an asshat waved at us, after being an asshat? Because then we might think, "Look at that asshat!! Just waved like he had no shame at all!" Some things have no answers...:p

Mousa

Passed Driver's Ed
First, eye contact. If contact has been made, I give an up head nod and an open palm.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
First, eye contact. If contact has been made, I give an up head nod and an open palm.
Yea, if I can see they're preoccupied sometimes I won't give acknowledgment. But, I just tell myself that I am at least waving at a beautiful car, even if it has an unappreciative owner behind the wheel. The car deserves a wave in my eyes.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie