GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change for mk7

FuZzNuG

So I'm I'm aproaching 5k miles in my 2015 gti and have decided to do my first oil change at 5k. This is my first vw by the way. I have a question about the oil specification numbers in the hand book. Does the oil I need to use match all of the numbers listed in the vehicle manual? The cars oil cap and hoses are marked with Castrol sae 5w-40 so I got that much but the only Castrol oil I can find o nlynlist one of the specification numbers in the manual.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
Which oils meet their specifications?

I don't have the exact list handy, maybe others can chime in. I'm pretty sure you can get it from VW. Just make sure it's VW502 specific on the back, the velocity of the oil is irrelevant if it meets the 502 requirements

FURIOUSGTI

Banned
OEM Castrol from the dealership is 5W40 semi-synthetic blend. It is your car, your money. The best Castrol oil that money can buy in US is a 0W40 European car formula. It is made in Germany and it is full synthetic oil - PAO group IV. The second best oil is MObil 0W40. Both are 502 spec and can be found in 1 liter bottle or 5 liter jug at Walmart or Autozone . Price is ~25-30 $ or less depending if it is on sale or rebate. Last time I bought two 5 liter jugs for 30 $ with rebate. Best deal on oil ever.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
OEM Castrol from the dealership is 5W40 semi-synthetic blend. It is your car, your money. The best Castrol oil that money can buy in US is a 0W40 European car formula. It is made in Germany and it is full synthetic oil - PAO group IV. The second best oil is MObil 0W40. Both are 502 spec and can be found in 1 liter bottle or 5 liter jug at Walmart or Autozone . Price is ~25-30 $ or less depending if it is on sale or rebate. Last time I bought two 5 liter jugs for 30 $ with rebate. Best deal on oil ever.

I did my last 2 oil changes myself and used the Castrol OE German blend same as the dealer. Pretty sure the car came with the 5w-30 weight but I use 5w-40. It's the gold bottle.

FURIOUSGTI

Banned
I did my last 2 oil changes myself and used the Castrol OE German blend same as the dealer. Pretty sure the car came with the 5w-30 weight but I use 5w-40. It's the gold bottle.
5W30 Castrol SLX LL03
http://www.oilchangekits.com/media/...878ff1274a/c/a/castrol-professional-ll03.jpeg

This is better than 5W40 but it is not recommended in N.A. cos of the high sulfur in the gasoline. In Europe they use that oil. You can use it but have to change the oil every 3-4000 miles.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
5W30 Castrol SLX LL03
http://www.oilchangekits.com/media/...878ff1274a/c/a/castrol-professional-ll03.jpeg

This is better than 5W40 but it is not recommended in N.A. cos of the high sulfur in the gasoline. In Europe they use that oil. You can use it but have to change the oil every 3-4000 miles.

I have used this. I get all my oil from ECS tuning so they have the European blends. But believe it or not my dealership sells this oil by the quart as well! Comes in handy

milwkeesbest

Passed Driver's Ed
The best Castrol oil that money can buy in US is a 0W40 European car formula. It is made in Germany and it is full synthetic oil - PAO group IV. The second best oil is MObil 0W40. Both are 502 spec

The only Castrol 502 spec that you can buy at the store in N/A is 0W40 European car formula. The rest of the Castrol line up are regular oils not recommended in VW,BMW,Mercedes and Porsche cars.

I have a ton of mobil 1 and mobil 1 ep that I use in all my cars. Different weights though.

So do they meet the specs or not? Guess I'll have to look at the bottle next time I stock up.

marnie

Ready to race!
Had my oil and "Cleaner" changed yesterday. Car on fixed service schedule and has done under 5000mls. Reminded the dealer it was not on Longlife plan. Got a call back to say VW are recommending Longlife oil for all turbos so that's what's in it now. Paperwork states LONG LIFE 5W30 and I assume this is 504 spec as in the manual.