GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield replacement

Bosun

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDi
Need my windshield replaced, inspection due to next month.
There is two type of windshield, with rain sensor and without.
My sensor does not work anyway, I think to replace it without a sensor, especially since the price is less without it. Does anyone have a similar experience of replacing a windshield with a windshield without a sensor?
Were there any problems?
Is there anything that needs to be corrected with VCDS?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
If you buy a oem windshield dealers will only sell you the windshield that is for your Vin. They won't sell you one without a rain sensor.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you buy a oem windshield dealers will only sell you the windshield that is for your Vin. They won't sell you one without a rain sensor.
If you give them a part number they can order whatever glass you want. Not much reason for dealer to care what glass you get since this isn't vehicle warranty work anyway. It's all the running parts/labor through their shop which is how they make money. They did double/triple verify with me when doing the actual replacement, since what came off did not match what was being installed... but that's how it should be.

If you have them look up the glass of course it will be whatever applies to your VIN. I selected my part number (for sensor/camera retrofit). Had the dealer order it and arrange their vendor to replace it. So the work is covered under their usual shop warranty.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Well thats different then how our Vw dealer works we wont order parts that arent for the Vin

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Just get the right windshield. The difference in cost can't be that much, because the RIGHT windshield isn't very expensive in the first place, relative to other OEM windshield replacements. And whatever you do, get a reputable shop to do the replacement - not some butcher from Safelite.