GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

White smoke on 2.0 TDI

Binny

Hello guys. As the weather is getting colder here (Macedonia), I'm noticing white smoke coming from the exhaust of my 2.0 TDI DSG. It's worrying me, and thought I should ask you before heading to the dealer, so I don't look stupid there, because it may be normal. It's coming almost all the time, no matter if the engine is cold or hot, and mostly when the gear selector is in N or R (or maybe that's when i notice it the most). It's a new car, with only about 1500km, and I want to know if that's normal. Maybe it's some kind of steam, because of the cold weather. Let me know if you have information about this. Thanks in advance

Boost1

Ready to race!
The main exhaust gases from a diesel engine are carbon dioxide, water, nitrogen and a bit of unburnt oxygen. The water is effectively steam when it comes out of the hot exhaust which is invisible, but it quickly condenses in a cold atmosphere to a cloud of water vapour. It is the same as seeing you own breath in the cold weather. That would be normal to see.

If this is really smoke, ie thick, swirling, acrid smelling fumes then you would have a problem worthy of the dealer's attention.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I suspect with those temperatures and the fact the engine is just idling in neutral and reverse when you notice it sounds quite normal.