GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW should continue diesel engines

xPETEZx

Passed Driver's Ed
And me! There lies the problem, though, I'd have to have two cars, one for the commute and one for other use (about half of my 15K pa). An electric car with a range of around 450 miles capable of fast charging and a heck of a lot more charging points than there are at the moment would work, though!
Well that's where the GTE comes in.
It has pure electric range of like 20 miles. There after the petrol engine takes over.
So if it had double the pure electric range it would work for my commute and back.
Then for longer trips has the petrol.
And for spirted driving in GTE mode you get both electric and petrol engine.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Trouble is my commute is 20 miles and nowhere to park up for the day to recharge so it will be on petrol on the way home! We've two threads running with similar discussions going, but for the sake of this I thread I'll just briefly repeat what i said on the other thread... Hybrids (which is what the GTE is) have not quite got it right, they are still far too reliant on the ic engine and so are not as economical as they should be... Give me a small engine acting as a generator and more batteries. Make it an S or SE spec and concentrate on economy rather than speed, oh and give me an estate version please!

I assume it's called a "GTE" to emphasize it's performance rather than economy, that's where things need to change, instead of using Hybrid technology to make a performance car more economical or help a Chelsea Tractor drink less fuel lets start concentrating on the bread and butter cars...

Fingers crossed for two years time when i change cars!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Remember when cell phones were huge and the battery lasted just a couple of hours ....without making a call. That was not too long ago, now just 20 or so years later there is an app for that.... We have days worth of juice, that's technology.
You will not make everybody happy and not everyone needs or want the same thing or have the same need. Yes electric cars have their drawbacks and they are not for everyone but they will be the future like it or not there not denying that, it will take time but they will get better and cheaper. If you have the means to buy an electric plus have the means to have solar panels, that's the perfect combination and a few people do just that, you will not find the in this forum but that's the way it is. Eventually I'll change my DD to an electric car because it makes sense for my commute it may not be 100% earth friendly but it beats the hell out of burning gasoline all around. There are many more Diesel engines on the road and other crap messing everything up. Is not only VW out there
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Hydrogen car needs an electric motor with batteries as well? I'm not against it at all, I welcome all options because like it or not wee need them.