GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vince's Rising Blue Mk6 R

kevbass52

Ready to race!
We certainly need some more Rs around here, welcome.

Might want to start a new thread HERE as this is a build thread for a specific member and car.

Step 1 on these cars is maintenance as no point putting more power to it if it's just going to break down from lack of love. Check your cam follower and change regularly, if you're going Stg2 you'll need an upgraded HPFP.

Seriously these cars are pretty well sorted for power as a base, throw a Stg1 on there to wake it up and then spend some time on suspension and brakes to make sure the power is usable, then build up the power more into Stg2.
I started a new thread finally on main Golf R forum, may do one there also if visibility low. Thanks for the tips. It is a little over 100k so and the maintenance records weren't very clear, will be asking the dealership for the service records as it was the service managers car (a lot of the info says "fluids changed" or "60k maintenance performed" or "services completed" with no specifics. Went out and have been flushing out the fluids, oil was the worst (looked black and it made me tear a little, was 15k from its last oil change from the service records..). Waiting on the cam follower from FCP. For the brakes, would a BBK be best at stg1/2? Right now the brakes are very responsive, pads have 80% left on em.
Won't be going stage 2 until my stock clutch wears out. Have lifetime powertrain warranty so want to keep it stock until either a failure or wear. Appreciate the info! Is cobb the only maker for modular stage kits? Warranty keeps me limited slightly, dealer says they are mod friendly & have the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act if they want to be petty but still want to be able to take it back to stock if needed.

It depends how many miles or kms are on the car, usually around 130km you should be doing the timing chain and possibly water pump but other than that as long as you keep the oil changes regularly around 5000km or so and change the cam follower every 2 or 3 oil changes you should be good for a while! My friend is stage 2 unitronic and his clutch was slipping almost right away, and he didnt really beat on it. Clutches have different lives for everyone so just keep that in mind, the higher mileage the more likely it is to start slipping when you upgrade ! Hope this helps!
I'll look into the timing chain/tensioner and water pump. Does the mk6 R have the same tensioner issue as the mk6 gti?
Records show a water pump leak and the pump was replaced at 45k, assume its due time for a replacement? Thank you for the info. Will deff start at Stg1 before going stg 2 so I can get a feel for the car before adding huge power jumps.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
I started a new thread finally on main Golf R forum, may do one there also if visibility low. Thanks for the tips. It is a little over 100k so and the maintenance records weren't very clear, will be asking the dealership for the service records as it was the service managers car (a lot of the info says "fluids changed" or "60k maintenance performed" or "services completed" with no specifics. Went out and have been flushing out the fluids, oil was the worst (looked black and it made me tear a little, was 15k from its last oil change from the service records..). Waiting on the cam follower from FCP. For the brakes, would a BBK be best at stg1/2? Right now the brakes are very responsive, pads have 80% left on em.
Won't be going stage 2 until my stock clutch wears out. Have lifetime powertrain warranty so want to keep it stock until either a failure or wear. Appreciate the info! Is cobb the only maker for modular stage kits? Warranty keeps me limited slightly, dealer says they are mod friendly & have the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act if they want to be petty but still want to be able to take it back to stock if needed.

I'll look into the timing chain/tensioner and water pump. Does the mk6 R have the same tensioner issue as the mk6 gti?
Records show a water pump leak and the pump was replaced at 45k, assume its due time for a replacement? Thank you for the info. Will deff start at Stg1 before going stg 2 so I can get a feel for the car before adding huge power jumps.

Quite a few modular stage tuners out there for R cars.
Unitronic, Integrated Engineering, United Motorsports, APR, GIAC, I'm sure COBB has some options as well. A lot to choose from that all offer slight variations of the same thing.