GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS/VAGCOM Alternative

Leekade

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTD
I managed to change my rear brake discs and pads yesterday without plugging the car into a computer - the only tricky part was winding the caliper pistons back in. I just wondered if anyone had experience of a cheaper alternative to buying the official Ross Tech stuff at several hundred pounds a go as I’m sure I’ll be needing it again. It would also be helpful if the solution also worked with a 2018 Audi A3 (father in law’s car).

Cheers
Adrian

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
How did you get the electronic motor spindles in the rear calipers to retract then??

Leekade

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTD
How did you get the electronic motor spindles in the rear calipers to retract then??
After disengaging the handbrake, I removed the motors on each side - they’re each held on with two small bolts which are easy to get at. Removing the caliper/pad carriers was quite hard namely because I hadn’t got an M14 multi-spline bit and the one I borrowed from a garage-owning friend was a long reach version making the upper one very tight to get at with a universal joint socket wrench. The piston on the passenger side was almost retracted sufficiently to remove everything - I applied a bit of pressure with my thumbs and it went back enough. The driver side was more problematic. I don’t know if I wound the spline (where the motor attaches to) the wrong way - it was dark and I didn’t notice - but the piston almost came out but the rubber seals stayed in place. Winding the spline didn’t do much so a combination of winding the spline and using a piston-winding tool (this “plugs” into the two little indents on the end of the piston) had the desired effect. Before I could get the tool to fit in, I applied a little pressure to the piston and it pushed in enough to allow the space. I was worried as a small amount of fluid came out before I got the piston back in and indeed the brakes were spongy but, after bleeding just that side afterwards, they worked fine.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah, too complex for me..I just plug VCDS in, retract the spindles, undo the caliper bolts & then use my piston windback tool (with notched plate) to wind the pistons back in...basically as per the book.

You can use ODBII via a smart phone to retract the spindles...I don't as I prefer VCDS..

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Carista or OBDEleven will do it for a fraction of the price. I have the OBDEleven and piece of cake to wind back the rear brake piston.