GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with Shifter - 2015 6MT

tgodon13

Ready to race!
2015 GTI 6MT. When cold I do not have any issues. After the car has been driven for a while and is fully warmed up it becomes very difficult to shift. High effort is needed. It becomes very hard to get into 1st, and is nearly impossible to get into reverse. I had a DKM Stage 2 clutch installed about 2500 miles ago, this problem has been happening for about the last 1500 miles. The car has had an ECS short shifter (Front to Back) and solid bushing cable ends since it was a month old At the time the clutch was done I also had the bleeder block delay valve removed, the pedal assist spring removed, cable guide/mount solid mount bushings, and Motul Gear 300 75w90 transmission oil done.It seems to happen more when my son has been driving the car, but he tends to have it out longer than I do. I did take the car from NJ to NC and back recently and do not recall any big issue with it. Could there be something different in the way he drives it that would cause this? I have been driving manuals for 37+ years, he is fairly new to manuals and is not nearly as smooth as I am,. But he drove it with the OEM clutch and we never had this issue.

I have done the following troubleshooting and have not been able to resolve the issue.

- Moved the short shifter pin to different throw adjustments and adjusted the shifter each time.
- Readjusted the cables/shifter.
- Bled clutch fluid to make sure no air was in the line.
- Removed the extended pedal stop that I had with the stock clutch.
- Shifting when the car is NOT running is normal and smooth.

To me it seems similar to the clutch not fully disengaging, but it shows no other signs of that happening. With the pedal to the floor it shows no signs of it still being partially engaged.

Has anyone seen anything like this happening??

HELP!!!!!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Sounds similar to the problem I had when I had a faulty throw-out bearing. You can row through all the gears easily with the car off right?

tgodon13

Ready to race!
Yes, with the car off it is fine. Since posting this I removed the pedal stop. I had previously installed a taller one when the stock clutch was in. I had since removed all of the additional thickness and it was down the last pad. After removing it completely I have not been able to duplicate my shifter problem. The only noticeable thing now is that when hot it does require more effort in each gear, but at least it is shifting. I'm going to research other trans oil, as I am thinking maybe it does not like the Motul 75w90???