GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toronto 16in Alloys - Tyre Options

Jon2

Ready to race!
Just a quick update, which is really me giving my thoughts on the summer tyres fitted by VW, now that winter is closing in. As mentioned at the start of this thread, I have Continental Contact Premium 5 tyres fitted, and as I live in Shetland, which is 60N, I was/am considering fitting a tyre that would cope with the freezing conditions. Well I still have the Continentals fitted, and we've been getting some very icy conditions over the past week or so, and yet the tyres have felt as good as ever. I'm getting plenty of grip and feel, and I haven't felt like the tyres have started to under-perform. I haven't lost confidence in them yet. I'm heading south in a couple of weeks, so will continue to evaluate, and if I feel the need is to change over to the Michelin CrossClimates, then I'll have a look at it then. :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just watch your tyre pressures.....because air contracts with the cold ( & expands with heat) the rated pressures are based on 20C.

So if car outside & 0C then you need to set to a lower pressure so that when the tyre heats up to 20C it is correct & therefore correct for hotter temps also.

I usually deduct 0.1 bar per 10C difference...
So say 2.0 bar = 20C

10C = 1.9 Bar
0C = 1.8 bar..

Jon2

Ready to race!
Yet again, many thanks Dave, it never even entered my head to consider tyre pressures with plunging temperatures. Been enjoying some decent weather up here recently, if a little cold, and I replaced the exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets on the 2CV a few days ago, as one of the exhaust gaskets had blown out, so been using it for the short drive to work. :)