GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Belts & Neuspeed Crank Pulley - Rough Idle After?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Any reason after doing the belts that the idle would be a little rough? Just seems like it "coughs" once in a while but the RPMs are steady. Could it be related to the pulley?

torga

Autocross Champion
More than likely. That Neuspeed pulley isn't damped whatsoever, whereas the OEM one. So your idle will be rougher than stock.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
thanks guys, you rock.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Also here to say pulley. I got a fluidampr a few weeks after I got my single mass flywheel and poly engine mounts in, and it has helped smooth things out at idle, especially when the A/C is on.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
I would side with caution and have your mechanic ensure the timing is correct. As per the title of this thread, the timing belt was changed then you note an occasional “cough” at idle. (Maybe it’s one tooth off?) If timing is confirmed accurate then you should be good (y)

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I would side with caution and have your mechanic ensure the timing is correct. As per the title of this thread, the timing belt was changed then you note an occasional “cough” at idle. (Maybe it’s one tooth off?) If timing is confirmed accurate then you should be good (y)
confirmed - i double checked with him, and there is also a cel that would light up if it were off.

gonna swap the pulley back to stock to see how it feels.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
aside from the performance/less parasitic loss, are there any benefits to the pulley?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
No benefits, and I would say the performance is overstated. The extra vibrations it causes hurt more than the reduced mass helps.

I'm running a fluidampr as well, and I highly recommend it. Really helps smooth things out, and it's been shown to pick up a couple of hp on the dyno.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
+1 for fluidampr, the stock pulley is a harmonic dampner by design, replacing it with a regular pulley can reduce longevity of the motor, especially if you're tracking it.

Savagecbmk6

Any reason after doing the belts that the idle would be a little rough? Just seems like it "coughs" once in a while but the RPMs are steady. Could it be related to the pulley?
Hey man my mk6 is 130k miles I've been thinking about changing the timing belt it's never been changed deff has to be stretched idk thanks ?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
+1 for fluidampr, the stock pulley is a harmonic dampner by design, replacing it with a regular pulley can reduce longevity of the motor, especially if you're tracking it.

on tuesday gonna swap this one back out for the OEM pulley, thanks for all the input guys

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
It was the pulley, back to OEM pulley now. Thanks all

torga

Autocross Champion
FluidAmpr when you get the extra cash. You won't regret it 👍