GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Those Who had a mk6 in Europe then Bought a Mk7:

Vancity2Constantinople

2.Sloooo n loww
Car(s)
2010 Golf 2.5L Sport
How do you feel about the quality? Is it the same? Is it less quiet in the cabin or more creaks and noises when touching things such as the doors, closing the hatch, dash creaks etc..

Do you think it feels more solid?

Im curious, because the mk7 will most likely be made in Mexico for the North americans and this is a disappointment.

Groovetemple

I still have my MK6 GTi and the main differences are as follows:

(I am comparing the GT MK7 to the GTi MK6 here though)

More room in the back
Quieter at speed mainly due to less road noise (although my GTI does have 18" Monzas)
Door trims are slightly better quality
Dash appearance slightly more up market
Handling despite weight loss is no better but ride is very good

Overall I think in the first evolution of the MQB platform VW have matched the MK6 and then upped the quality slightly, but in GT form it is a little dull which for once the journos actually got right. If you want fun the wait for the new GTD or get a A3 S Line if you have very deep pockets to pay for the extras to match the Golf Standard Equipment..

bjornagain1

Hi, i had a go yesterday. I took a long test drive with a demo car while i was waiting for my Golf TSI 160bhp to be ready from service. The demo car was a GT140 DSG with all three packages, with additional nav and ErgoActive seats.

While i was driving my own car home i was thinking about the differences. One word that pops up is: Luxury. I think they have enhanced everything. The rear camera is better on the new one with brighter screen and for sure higher resolution on the camera it self.

I really like the center console. Its wider and HIGHER and pretty flat, which for me is perfect. I like to be "surronded" by the car(think BMW for that matter) when i drive and the MK6 just lacks of that due to center console where parking brake and shift stick resides are to low with different hights, looks messy if you ask me. So thats a big improvment i think.

Nicer with white letters on buttons and panel instead of the red as in the current. Its brighter and provides a "classy" feel and look.

DSG was phenominal!
And 140bhp compared to 160bhp - i could not tell the difference in speed. It felt just as sharp and fast as my current car.

I will order one, after week 22 when the new model year arrives. Reason for that is the confirmed option Dynaudio that is available from that week.

Cheers from Sweden
/bjorn

Kermit1

Dynamic Chassie?

Thanks for sharing you impression from the test drive - and also the comments about the Dynaudio system.

Looking forward to order a Variant in the autumn - and I am happy to hear the positive comments about the GT 140/DSG.

I am still wondering if the Dynamic Chassie is nice-to-have option.

Top priorities are Remote Heading, Dynaudio system and the Comfort Seats.

Anyone who has an opinion about hte Dymanic Chassie?

Mk 6 Golf (US Spec) vs Mexican Made New Beetle (Mk 6 Based)

Turned my 2011 Mk 6 Golf in for a Transmission Valve Body replacement this morning and was given a new Turbo Beetle complete with the Fender Audio, Sunroof, etc. Only 3,000 miles on it, so it is not a beater.

The Mexican Beetle has the same cheap hard plastic and crappy switchgear that the current Jetta has. If this is what the Mk 7 is going to be like, I will buy an A3 Audi instead when the time comes.

Sadly, Audi is putting an assembly plant in Puebla like VW already has.

I do not want a "German Engineered" car built in Mexico from second rate components- which is what the Puebla stuff looks and feels like.

it is not just that it is assembled in Mexico. The parts are sourced in North America and you get 2nd rate crap like what goes into Chevy, Ford and Toyota- not high quality European components.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I've owned a MK5, MK6 and I'm now the lucky owner of a MK7 GTD.

The 5 and 6 were very similar but I think the 5 had the edge as the 6 rattled a bit and was noisy around the passenger window at motorway speed.

So far the 7 has been to the standard I expect. I don't have any of the problems other people are reporting. The one thing that sets the mk7 even higher is the quality of the interior. After dark the 7 cabin is a thing of beauty.

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
Turned my 2011 Mk 6 Golf in for a Transmission Valve Body replacement this morning and was given a new Turbo Beetle complete with the Fender Audio, Sunroof, etc. Only 3,000 miles on it, so it is not a beater.

The Mexican Beetle has the same cheap hard plastic and crappy switchgear that the current Jetta has. If this is what the Mk 7 is going to be like, I will buy an A3 Audi instead when the time comes.

Sadly, Audi is putting an assembly plant in Puebla like VW already has.

I do not want a "German Engineered" car built in Mexico from second rate components- which is what the Puebla stuff looks and feels like.

it is not just that it is assembled in Mexico. The parts are sourced in North America and you get 2nd rate crap like what goes into Chevy, Ford and Toyota- not high quality European components.
You realize it has nothing to do with where it's made, right? That's how VW wanted it built to cut costs.