GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspention Options

NoGasNoGo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm looking to lower my gti a little, considering Bilstein EVO S coilovers, H&R sport springs on Bilstein B8s, or even air if it's worth the extra money. What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? I've had lowering springs on previous cars, but never coilovers or air. Car is a 15 GTI, daily driver, never track it.

MrTSI

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
I'm looking to lower my gti a little, considering Bilstein EVO S coilovers, H&R sport springs on Bilstein B8s, or even air if it's worth the extra money. What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? I've had lowering springs on previous cars, but never coilovers or air. Car is a 15 GTI, daily driver, never track it.
I saw some reviews of the EVO S kit from the UK on YouTube. They were installed on MK7 and MK8 Golf Rs but looking at Bilstein’s European catalog, it seems it’s the same kit number as the MK7 GTI.
The 3 reviews I found all say it’s a great street suspension, with mild drop, excellent ride and great reduction in body roll. Based on their comments, I would guess the low-speed damping is a little softer and they stiffen up at higher speeds. If you look up the specs in the TUV certificate in the Bilstein catalog, the front struts in the EVO S kit use slightly lighter springs than the older B14 kit, as well as twin-tube versus monotube dampers. This supports the claims of a more compliant ride since twin-tubes are typically (but not always) more compliant. Biggest advantage is the adjustability of the ride height, but keep in mind these are NOT designed to run super low and your ride and handling will be severely compromised if you go lower than specified by Bilstein’s instructions.

B8s are monotubes but quite comfy by all accounts on this forum and elsewhere. H&R makes quality stuff. The Sports drop the car 1.3in which may or may not be an issue depending on your local conditions and personal preferences. Biggest disadvantage is lack of adjustment. You get what you get.

Personally, for my money, I’d go EVO S. The adjustability alone is worth the added cost to get the height dialed in while maintaining ground clearance and comfort on the road. I will be going this route when my factory shocks die.