GOLFMKV

Suspension Issue on VWR Springs + Bilstein B8

six.k

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' DSG7 Mk7.5 GTI
LONG STORY

bought vwr springs and used with oem shocks n struts
20k miles later, front drivers side wheel is doing alot of scraping on bumps and looks visibly lower by 3/4 of an inch.
5k miles later, decide to replace the struts and shocks to Bilstein B8s.

Ride height looks good! no more scraping.
200 miles later aka today, get a whole new set of PS4S and notice that the driver side is lower again!!! By a smaller margin, 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.

What the heck is going on?! I was going to get a alignment due to the fact that i got new tires but i do want to mention i have never gotten an alignment on this car even after all the suspension work because i am dumb.
Was wondering if this would be resolved by an alignment but don't really see it being the solution as i've read alignment barely changes ride height.

I am about to pull both struts out AGAIN and try to see if maybe the spring is seated wrong but that really wouldn't make it lower, higher if anything no?
I seriously doubt the strut has died but this could be a possibility?? Lastly it could be the spring itself. Is it possible that driving on a blown strut and putting excess strain on the spring has ruined it?

I would love some feedback on this. Also if i take of both struts to check my springs should i be replacing my bolts, mounts, and bearings?? I'm very over my suspension being effed.

End of the day the ride quality is still loads better than with the oe struts but i would love for everything to be perfect. I've read alot on gti's having a weird amount of variance in ride height between wheels but i really don't think this is the case. Could it possibly be a completely different part? Now that im writing this im thinking maybe my struts were never broken? I dunno i need help

THANKS!

Last edited:

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yea, I would say the only thing that sounds possible would be the spring itself sagging lower, or install error. Make sure everything is seater properly, and make sure the top strut mounts are facing the correct direction. You don’t need to take it out to do that, you can just feel behind it to make sure you tab is facing in towards the engine bay.

six.k

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' DSG7 Mk7.5 GTI
Yea, I would say the only thing that sounds possible would be the spring itself sagging lower, or install error. Make sure everything is seater properly, and make sure the top strut mounts are facing the correct direction. You don’t need to take it out to do that, you can just feel behind it to make sure you tab is facing in towards the engine bay.

will do about the tab!

my original plan for it was to move the strut assembly from one side to the other if there were no differences in height on the springs.
i really hope i put them in the wrong direction, that wouldn't be so bad to fix, although when installing i tried every way untill it worked...
i read that it wasn't even possible to put them in the wrong direction.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yea, I just did my spring install and was like super anal about everything but I did read that as well. Another thing is check to make sure it’s fully seated into the strut mount, I would assume it is since you said you’ve changed them a few times I’m sure you know your way around it by now.

six.k

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' DSG7 Mk7.5 GTI
in case anyone else runs into this...

over the past couple days i've read alot about how the gti's weigh a bit more on the driver side (due to the DSG + steering column) and anything within around 5mm difference is okay.
Would love to get some opinions on it. I a bit more than 5 mm closer to 10-12mm but i think im just going to live with it.

Ended up doing the fender screw mod and i havent heard a single rub yet. The PS4S i put in have a thicker side wall + im running DAP spacers as well so i was definitely hitting the screw as it was polished when i removed them. super relieved i didn't have to remove the whole entire assembly again. the true test will be the canyons but its raining tonight :eek: will wait a couple days. and yes i did finally get an alignment today as well.

Thanks @Mreed055!