GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange GTI "Problem"

SSnide

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

I've come to report another possible issue with my 2015 GTI. This one has me baffled. It could be very simple, but let's see what you think.

I don't have any video or audio, as it only occurs seemingly at random. These are the conditions:

1. DSG in manual mode

2. Air conditioning on

3. Accelerating moderately in 1st - 4th gear

4. Between gears 2 and 3 and sometimes 4, there is a "clunking" or rattling sound coming from the engine bay. It is always between shifts, when my foot is still on the throttle (about 2/3 way down). It happens between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th gear. I don't notice a loss in power or feel anything weird in the drivetrain.

What could this be? It doesn't always happen. Maybe only once every two weeks or so.

davo441

Ready to race!
I have that sound too and I think everyone else complaint about the same noise. I don't think no one knows where that noise come from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clickclickw00t

Passed Driver's Ed
I have similar issues. Lots of clunks when shifting.

Try this: put the car in park, and rev the engine. AC off, windows closed, in a silent environment. Listen to the engine as it revs. Are there any noises? Mine had a weird gurgling noise when revving to 2-3k rpm in Park or Neutral, while the revs are returning to idle.

I dropped it off at a new dealer with an awesome shop foreman yesterday. I will update when I know whats going on. I get clunks and metal-on-metal rattling when going over potholes or small bumps, and when giving the car quick throttle and releasing. I think its either 1) dual mass flywheel 2) clutch packs worn (which would make the Dual mass flywheel worn), or 3) a dead transmission.

XSoph

Passed Driver's Ed
I used to notice that, too. It went away or became unnoticeable once I had clutch pack #2 replaced. Don't rush out and get the same replacement, though. I was experiencing erratic DSG behavior and hard shifts after I'd been out on a rough road circa 21k miles. It does feel really smooth compared to what I got from the factory, though.