GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST coilover question

Duzey

Hello all...New to the forums, hoping I could get some insight. I am looking at ST coilovers for my Golf 1.8 3 door. I did notice they say only 2" of drop. I called Concept1 a local shop, and the sales guy said they can go lower than this and that is just a recommendation from ST. Is this the case? I'm stuck on what to do. The wheel and tire setup I'm going to run is 18 x 8.5 35 with 225/40 R18. I'd like to snug up the wheels and lose all gap. I'd rather buy local but the only option they have is ST then it jumps to KW which for $800 more not so sure it's worth it.

Sorry for wall of text !

EDIT: car is currently on HR sport springs and has quite a bit of gap still

Last edited:
You can go lower, but there are good reasons to stay within the manufacturer's
recommendations. Lower than that and you will suffer from insufficient travel.
In other words, riding on the bump stops isn't what a suspension is designed for.

Jannnny

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all...New to the forums, hoping I could get some insight. I am looking at ST coilovers for my Golf 1.8 3 door. I did notice they say only 2" of drop. I called Concept1 a local shop, and the sales guy said they can go lower than this and that is just a recommendation from ST. Is this the case? I'm stuck on what to do. The wheel and tire setup I'm going to run is 18 x 8.5 35 with 225/40 R18. I'd like to snug up the wheels and lose all gap. I'd rather buy local but the only option they have is ST then it jumps to KW which for $800 more not so sure it's worth it.

Sorry for wall of text !

EDIT: car is currently on HR sport springs and has quite a bit of gap still

Please show photos once you lower your car. I am planning to run 18 x 8.5 et35 with stock tires on my mk7 GTI, and either Bilstein or BC racing coilovers. Thanks!