GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting into 1st at low speed

Tone1

Ready to race!
So I'm having a problem, mostly when I pull out of the carport in the morning. Shift to 2nd before then end of the driveway, then after going down a curb, with the car at about 5mph, the gear selector won't go into 1st, so I either have to lug it out in 2nd or come to a complete stop to shift back to 1st gear and take off again. Any other 6MT's having a similar problem?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Normal as far as I know, I always do the 2nd to 1st out of habit anyway.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
There are certain situations where the DSG doesn't use the right gear. Exiting the parking structure where I live is one example -- the exit into the alley behind the building is very steep. I have gotten into the habit of moving the gear shifter to the right to enter Manual mode, and I keep the transmission in 1st gear while going up the ramp.

When left in Drive, the DSG shifts into 2nd and keeps it there far too long before giving up and downshifting to 1st. The ramp is doable in 2nd with a bit of momentum and some faith that there will be no cross-traffic in the alley when you get to it, but going up slower and in 1st, and looking both ways at the top is much safer.

Tone1

Ready to race!
Rev match, it goes into first just fine for me, but only if I rev match

This could solve it. Don't know why I don't do that regularly. What is it exactly mechanically that prevents the shifter going in? Are the synchros not lining up? I'm not real car fluent but with the clutch all the way in I'm a little confused as to why there's any restriction on gearshift movement.

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
First gear lockout, you shouldn't be doing this anyway. 2nd will lug fine. You can get the car rolling without slipping the shit out of the clutch or touching the gas in 2nd.

Tone1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info

danall

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2016 GTI MT shifts into first nicely while moving. Never had any manual with problems shifting into first unless it was an archaic non-syncro truck. Some tranny's needed a little rev-matching but there were none that i avoided shifting into first while moving.