GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift cable bushings for OEM European short shifter

smurchill

Passed Driver's Ed
I've seen some older threads discussing short shifter options, but they involve different combinations of shifters/bushings/brackets, etc.

I enjoy the 6MT in the GTI - I'm just looking for a more mechanical feeling shift with more positive feedback.

The OEM Euro short shifter (Audi S3?) shift bracket seems like a good deal at ~$60:

https://deutscheautoparts.com/oem-eu...j0711046e.html

What are the best cable bushings to go with? There is this kit from 42DD, but it seems like a pain in the ass with the cutting and drilling:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-shi...et-mk7-6s-my15

And this more simpler kit from Torque Solutions, which seems much simpler:

http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-scb-1006.htm

Not really sure on the Delrin vs oil impregnated brass bearings, etc. Also, I'm not really trying to do anything with the cable bracket or bushings at this time, nor do I need a 35% or more throw reduction offered by some of the aftermarket manufacturers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ZKK007

Ready to race!
I have the Audi short shift (I think it's actually from the TT) with 42DD shifter cable end link bushings. The result, in my opinion, is a much better shifter. The 42DD bushings require you to cut your stock parts. I ended up ordering the part you cut (about $70) just so I can go back to stock when I part ways with the car. Going back stock is something I always keep in mind when I modify. The 42DD bushings definitely made a noticeable difference and I would buy them again. It takes all slop out of the shifter. I don't have any experience with other bushings.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

xl1200r

Ready to race!
I used a Spulen short shifter and the Torque Solutions bushings. I did the Shifter first and it make the shift feel MUCH more direct and mechanical. I know the bushings are also helping, but the biggest change came from the shifter.

I don't know if the Audi shifter will have as big of an effect being that it only reduces throws 15%.

smurchill

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Audi short shift (I think it's actually from the TT) with 42DD shifter cable end link bushings. The result, in my opinion, is a much better shifter. The 42DD bushings require you to cut your stock parts. I ended up ordering the part you cut (about $70) just so I can go back to stock when I part ways with the car. Going back stock is something I always keep in mind when I modify. The 42DD bushings definitely made a noticeable difference and I would buy them again. It takes all slop out of the shifter. I don't have any experience with other bushings.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks, that was my main concern about the 42DD bushings - returning to stock. I guess just ordering a new OEM bracket is easy enough.

I used a Spulen short shifter and the Torque Solutions bushings. I did the Shifter first and it make the shift feel MUCH more direct and mechanical. I know the bushings are also helping, but the biggest change came from the shifter.

I don't know if the Audi shifter will have as big of an effect being that it only reduces throws 15%.

I've heard good things about the Spulen, I just don't know if I really need to shorten the throws that much, justifying the extra cost. Thanks for your input!

LeGti

Ready to race!
My car came with the Euro shifter. Best shift-related mod was removing the delay valve, second was installing a Forge DV (big improvement in shifting), then cable end bushings (went with Torque Solutions), then bracket bushings, and finally APR shifter.

The bushings and delay removal made a huge difference. The DV really helps quicken shifts (car relishes in fast shifts where it used to baulk from slow boost recovery).

Really looking forward to installing a SACHS smfw & clutch as that will make shifts even smoother, direct... rewarding!!

Just my .02€
Ben.

xl1200r

Ready to race!
The Spulen is adjustable, I think it can adjust to be as long (or nearly as long) as stock.

smurchill

Passed Driver's Ed
I just realized the Spulen is only $75? For some reason, I was thinking it was around $100-$150 like most of the others. Might as well pay the extra $15 for adjustability.

Thanks, guys

xl1200r

Ready to race!
I just realized the Spulen is only $75? For some reason, I was thinking it was around $100-$150 like most of the others. Might as well pay the extra $15 for adjustability.

Thanks, guys

I've seen it as low as $60-ish, too. Spulen also offers a side-to-side kit. You can get them both as a kit (around $150, I think), or just get the front to back kit and decide if you need the side to side after. I wasn't sure so I just got the F2B back kit and don't see a glaring need for the S2S addition.