GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear pad change

Happydog750

Hi everyone

Gona change my front and rear pads and disc's when the weather picks up. I was just reading up on the process and was hoping you could clear up one or two things.

When connecting the battery charger I take it I use the positive thermal on the battery and the earth point bolted to the body? Also when I open the epb and change the pads and disc's and reassemble everything do I pump the pistons out before I close the epb?

Thanks folks

jibbajoe

Passed Driver's Ed
im not familiar with the electronic part of this but you ABSOLUTELY need to pump the piston close (until it contacts the rotor and it builds pressure) before driving the car. otherwise your mash the brake pedal and youll have 0 brakes.

Happydog750

Hi
I know to pump out the pistons to meet the pads after a brake service but was wondering if it's ok to do it while the EPB is in the service position?

What I plan to do is enter EPB to service mode, fit pads and disc's, remove EPB from service mode, pump brakes and check operation. Or should pumping the piston out be done before removing EPB from service mode?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
front discs and pads are simple as you can turn the wheel to undo the caliper carrier bolts easily in order to remove the disc, I’ve never done a rear pad change on an EPB equipped car but I’d imagine it’s pretty simple, the rear disc change however is probably similar to the manual parking brake version and a pain as the caliper carriers are difficult to remove unless the car is lifted sufficiently high enough to turn a breaker bar or such like!
This link may help,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmyhqy866qadqx2/D4B804B24F7-Brake_System.pdf?dl=0

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The electric motors for the handbrake need to be retracted using VCDS or OBD11....then the piston can be pushed back by hand using a clamp/wind back tool......then fit the pads etc, then once all bolted back up reset EPB....then foot on the brake pedal a few times to pump the piston....

& you always do + to + on battery....& - to bayonet fitting on car body behind battery....