GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racing Line Stage 3 Big Brake Kit Disc Float - Excessive or Normal?!

v7fmp

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
Hi all,

I am after some opinions and advice. I recently fitted the RL stage 3 big brake kit to my golf R. Unfortunately i have had a rattle/clunk start when driving over rough road surfaces. Initially i thought it was a suspension issue, but after lots of investigation it seems everything is fine. So i turned my attention to my brakes.

I know this kit has floating discs, but i am wondering if mine have an excessive amount of float (the internet would suggest float is usually between 0.2-0.4mm). I removed the discs and gave them a shake, as per my video below.

I am pretty sure the noise disappears if i drag the brakes over the rough tarmac, which again would point at the brakes being the cause.

I have emailed Racing Line, but am still waiting for a response. I have asked a couple of other brake kit owners, one saying they dont have the issue and waiting to hear from another. I mostly want to eliminate the noise from my investigations, as if its not the brakes, i need to continue my search. Failing that, i will out the original brakes back on to see if the noise is still there (something i would prefer not to do).

So any advice, help or info is greatly appreciated.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Big 2 piece floating disks will do this...but I'd make 100% certain that the bobbins between the bell/disc are properly secure.

v7fmp

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
Hi dave. Yup, i do expect an 'amount' of play, but these seems excessive, so much so that Racing Line have been in contact and they agree it seems excessive. So discs are going back to them to be replaced!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi dave. Yup, i do expect an 'amount' of play, but these seems excessive, so much so that Racing Line have been in contact and they agree it seems excessive. So discs are going back to them to be replaced!

That's good, as I haven't seen a perfect pair in my hands its not possible to say that yours was ok or defective...

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Did you cut your brake shield? The rotors are probably tapping against the shield when you drive over rough surfaces. That’s what mine where doing when I swapped brakes. I just cut the shield and no more rattle.

v7fmp

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
Did you cut your brake shield? The rotors are probably tapping against the shield when you drive over rough surfaces. That’s what mine where doing when I swapped brakes. I just cut the shield and no more rattle.

Hi, i removed the shields to ensure it wasn't this. As per my video above, my Racing Line discs unfortunately had excessive amounts of play in them. Possibly due to incorrect bobbins/shims.

These are now on their way back to be replaced.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, much appreciated!

v7fmp

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
hey buddy, i replied to my youtube vid also. But... the metal shims that sit between the bobbins... one of those had failed, allowing movement and therefore the rattle. I got in touch with Racing Line and they had me send the discs back to them, they rebuilt them with new shims, bobbins and bolts and the problem is totally cured. I suggest getting in contact with them and i am sure they will sort it out. (y)

Oreganoflow

hey buddy, i replied to my youtube vid also. But... the metal shims that sit between the bobbins... one of those had failed, allowing movement and therefore the rattle. I got in touch with Racing Line and they had me send the discs back to them, they rebuilt them with new shims, bobbins and bolts and the problem is totally cured. I suggest getting in contact with them and i am sure they will sort it out. (y)
Did you send back the entire brakes assembly or just the rotors?

Tony Sparta Evo

Hey buddy I have exactly the same issue with my Nashin kit on my 7.5 GTI (these are the manufacturer for Racing Line) so they basically replaced the fitting / fixing kit and it resolved the issue correct? I have been trying to resolve this exact same noise for literally months on my car, having already replaced pads, subframe bolts, drop links, ball joints and was about to change my steering rack when I saw this! Thanks