GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PS4S vs ContiSportContact vs PS A/S 4 (current) - golf r

golf_enthusiast

Car(s)
MK7 2016 MT
I've previously owned the PS4S and ContiSportContacts (CSCs) - both are summer tires. The PS4S is the best summer tire I have ever owned. I replaced the latest, worn CSCs (2/32 - 3/32) on my golf r with some Pilot Sport All Season 4s. I knew I would trade a bit of grip for better tread wear and spring/fall flexibility. With summer tires it was hard to time tire changes; I'm in New England where temps can seesaw between 30F and 60F in March, April and November.

In my initial drives with the PSA/S4s at 80F I am not feeling as much traction as I expected. It could be I am biased by the chirps I hear in corners, when maybe the softer rubber of the CSCs slides more quietly.

Has anyone else tried these and felt the same? From the reviews I thought I would not be able to feel any noticeable change in dry weather traction, especially against the worn CSCs.

www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-4s
www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-all-season-4
www.tirerack.com/tires/continental-contisportcontact-5
www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4-S.htm
www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-All-Season-4.htm
www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Continental/ContiSportContact-5-P.htm

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It's my experience that even quality mid range 'B-segment' summer tires will (in conditions befitting summer tires) outperform the very best all seasons such as the PSAS4. I've just switched from General GMax RS summers to PSAS4s....even though I live in Florida (for now at least), I'm going to be taking a lot of trips north in the coming year, in all the seasons, so decided to give a compromise solution a try.

First impressions on the PSAS4 after a few hundred miles - nice feeling tire, perhaps even a touch more responsive than the GMax RS. Plenty of grip for day to day driving on boring-ass Florida roads (yawn). Even plenty good enough grip to have some non-record setting fun in the twisties when I drive at least 30-50 miles out of my way to find the few remote mine roads in central Florida that have them :). But, when pressing on, I can tell that the grip is not quite up to the GMax RS standards, either in said bends or from a straight line launch....TC light is more active, or with TC off (well, at least minimized) more spin and slippage.

None of which surprises me to be honest, those GMax RS are darn good summer tires for the money. Of course, I should think it will be a different story when I find myself up in the NC mountains during the winter months - at which point I am sure I will be glad to have the top tier all seasons (and with some auto socks in the trunk for good measure).