GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open Source stage 2 vs Accessport tuning

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
2019 Golf R DSG stock fueling and turbo.

Got a downpipe that I am planning on installing in the near future and will likely install a larger turbo in the next year or two.

Getting the most bang for the buck and accomplishing difficult tasks myself is something I highly value but reliability and driveability currently trumps that as it is my daily driver.

I've been reading about Open Source and it is something I want to delve deeper into.

I'm trying to to weigh if it is worth it right now for me to try and tune the ECU and TCU or just get a used AP and buy OTS EQT tunes (and have some piece of mind that the tunes should be pretty damn reliable).

How much time should I expect for me to take to really dial in a 93 octane Stage 2 OS ECU and TCU tune for reliability and driveability?

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Stock turbo and fueling? You can have a file running in an afternoon or a weekend once you have the software figured out. Just gotta tune out the overboost from the downpipe. The guide is very straightforward on adding power from there. You can copy the timing/boost/lambda curve out of any stage 2 log on datazap if that gives you peace of mind, but you'll also know exactly how numbed your knock/misfire detection is, which you won't know with Cobb.

DQ381, I don't think there's a public guide, but there are plenty of people who can help or you can just buy one. I prefer my Russell dsg tune over the EQT one, which raced to get into higher gears and felt like it underreported torque.

Also, "open source" is a slight misnomer. The method used to flash the ECU and the dongle design/firmware is open source, but the android app and patches (flex fuel, high-speed logging, mapswitching, etc.) are closed and free only for non-commercial use.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Stock turbo and fueling? You can have a file running in an afternoon or a weekend once you have the software figured out. Just gotta tune out the overboost from the downpipe. The guide is very straightforward on adding power from there. You can copy the timing/boost/lambda curve out of any stage 2 log on datazap if that gives you peace of mind, but you'll also know exactly how numbed your knock/misfire detection is, which you won't know with Cobb.

DQ381, I don't think there's a public guide, but there are plenty of people who can help or you can just buy one. I prefer my Russell dsg tune over the EQT one, which raced to get into higher gears and felt like it underreported torque.

Also, "open source" is a slight misnomer. The method used to flash the ECU and the dongle design/firmware is open source, but the android app and patches (flex fuel, high-speed logging, mapswitching, etc.) are closed and free only for non-commercial use.
Thanks!

Stock fueling and turbo, added to my first post.

Have a dongle to use with Simos tools that I got from @Switchleg quite a while back.

Car currently has APR stage 1 high torque ECU and TCU files.

Where do I find the starting file for box code 8V0906259Q? I see it listed as one of the box codes available but could not find where to get it.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thanks!

Stock fueling and turbo, added to my first post.

Have a dongle to use with Sismos that I got from @Switchleg quite a while back.

Car currently has APR stage 1 high torque ECU and TCU files.

Where do I find the starting file for box code 8V0906259Q? I see it listed as one of the box codes available but could not find where to get it.
Are you in the discord?

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
My take is just stick with your Stage 1 high torque file. The gains are not worth it IMO.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
My take is just stick with your Stage 1 high torque file. The gains are not worth it IMO.
I understand stage 2 isn't going to give me major gains but I already have the downpipe.

My thought process is if I am going to learn to tune via OS it will probably be easier to learn to tune a stage 2 car than it would be stage 3. Since a larger turbo will most likely happen at some point I can potentially save myself a bunch of money in the long run.