GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil service message when shutting off car

KlipZ

Ready to race!
I got my GTI almost 3 weeks ago with 86 miles on it. Im now at about 750 and today i noticed when i got out of my car it said "Oil service 30mi" on the dash. Why would it be saying this? The car clearly doesn't need an oil change!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
+1 oil change light is by build date and mileage. Car might be about a year old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KlipZ

Ready to race!
+1 oil change light is by build date and mileage. Car might be about a year old.

So what should i do then? :(

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Check your build date. Inside door jab of drivers side.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Check your build date. Inside door jab of drivers side.

so if it is a year old i still need to get the oil changed as it has just sat? I didn't expect my "new" car to be a year old and now im going to have to pay for an oil change after having it for 3 weeks..

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The manual states, 10,000 miles or 1 year. So if you want to adhere to the maintenance schedule, you will need to have it serviced. Maybe contact the dealership you purchased it from and they'll handle the oil service for free.

But yes, if the build date is one year ago (roughly), then the fluids inside have been sitting for that long. If the build date is much newer, it could be something else.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
ya i checked when i went on lunch. Was built in August of 2015. Guess ill have to contact the dealer.. *sigh

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
They should really cover it. "Hey I bought this car off your lot that is a year old and it needs its oil changed...what the hey!"

KlipZ

Ready to race!
They should really cover it. "Hey I bought this car off your lot that is a year old and it needs its oil changed...what the hey!"

*most dealers would.

I sadly purchased my car through at a VW dealer where a distant friend of my step-dad works (this would be the third car my family has bought from him.) When i got home with it i found there was a small scratch on one of the edges of the passenger door. After about a week i submitted the dealer survey (all 10/10) and in the comment section just said "hey i found a small scratch, new cars shouldn't have scratches. Can you please give me a call so we can discuss what can be done to resolve this?" well long story short the guy ends up calling my step-dad bitchin' at him that im ungrateful, blah blah blah.

Long story short, its been 2 weeks now and the freakin guy STILL hasn't contacted me, even after i've left him 2 voicemails on his work extension. My parents called me last night and said they saw the guy at a local festival and he kind of just avoided them.. This is why i'm worried about the oil change with this dealer.. that being said, i'm giving it 2 more weeks before i call Volkswagen of America and file a complaint with them and with the BBB as well as destroy their social media and yelp pages. I bought a 35k and i should get treated as such. I got better treatment when i bought my 13k used Mazda 3 when i was 18.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Just go to a different dealer

well for the oil change i think anywhere will do it as i have the maintenance package, however the paint scratches probably will cost me..

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Have you tried a light buff and polish with rubbing compound? The day I bought my car the neighbors dog jumped and put his paws on my drivers side door. I was pissed but the scratches buffed out so Ralph (the dog) and I are still friends ha

KlipZ

Ready to race!
i haven't tried a buff. When i saw it i took some compound and a buffing pad and rubbed it a bit but nothing really happened :/

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sucks. Id still try again but honestly a touch up could look worse. I'm super picky aboutmy car but it's a daily driver. I've learned to just live with the few paint chips mines got already for that reason. If it's small and won't buff out it might not be worth having it messed with