GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil filter housing rod

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello all, long time no talk.

I was doing an oil change today and the housing rolled off my workbench and the retaining rod came off and I literally have no idea how to get it back in, and I feel like I’ve tried every way. I could be a bozo, but what a stupid design. Ive tried looking videos and how-to but its either a different design or they say 'now we are gonna clip this back together' and dont show how to or the correct oritenation for the spring and clip bottom part.

49160382-AC4B-454E-9705-0F233DFA771B.jpeg

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the link, I ended up getting it back on, I thought something was broken because it wouldn’t fit down flush and kept popping around when trying to clip it back in.

Apparently that’s just how it is since the bottom of the housing isn’t flat.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
funny that i helped you with this thread, and now i am in the same boat, except i broke mine. switching housings. . ugh.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Well, you've missed opportunity for replacing the "stick" with the updated version and adapter.
In general, I'm quite certain that all that stuff has to be replaced at some intervals. It's not like the rubber valves/seals will last forever in hot oil. Obviously nobody seems to know that interval. It'd also be nice to know specs for these o-rings as all that's really needed is to replace rubber/nitrile parts at the fraction of cost of the whole assembly. Would anybody know required dimensions and materials specs?

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
my pickle was, i had purchased a billet alum. housing. matching pairs for the oil housing and the dsg. just as a little dress up and figured why not. anyways. the new adapter (without the stick) requires a different housing . so the new one i just bought was not going to work for the updated filter cage. so i found one in a part out. and put it back together.