bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
what about 220

Zipobilrok

Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Anyone running 235/45 on the vs-5rs? the question driven by trying to maximize side wall and minimize any rubbing potential. Any unsafe issues with this compared to the Apex suggested 245/40 or 255/40?

been playing with this calculator: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...45-17X9ET42&wcl=32mm&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

a deer smacked into the side of my R and delayed me from getting tires (by the time it was fixed, it was time to switch to my winter set up) so now its time to actually pick some rubber for my set of pristine new in box vs-5rs

strongly considering more street oriented like continental dws06+ or michelin ps a/s4
anyone have direct experience with either on these rims?

Thank you

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Anyone running 235/45 on the vs-5rs? the question driven by trying to maximize side wall and minimize any rubbing potential. Any unsafe issues with this compared to the Apex suggested 245/40 or 255/40?

been playing with this calculator: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...45-17X9ET42&wcl=32mm&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

a deer smacked into the side of my R and delayed me from getting tires (by the time it was fixed, it was time to switch to my winter set up) so now its time to actually pick some rubber for my set of pristine new in box vs-5rs

strongly considering more street oriented like continental dws06+ or michelin ps a/s4
anyone have direct experience with either on these rims?

Thank you
Not on the vs-5rs, but I've been running a 235/45/17 on my 17x9 sm-10. No issues at all and pretty much any tire I looked at still listed a 9" wide rim as within the acceptable range.

Haven't ran either of those tires, but why not go for a summer tire if you're already running a dedicated winter setup?

Zipobilrok

Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Haven't ran either of those tires, but why not go for a summer tire if you're already running a dedicated winter setup?
we get such swings in temperature during fall and spring, i just dont want to deal with something that should not be driven below 40 deg.

so i figure why not get something that can handle the temp swings and can handle most weather conditions. Honestly, if next winter is anything like this year, I may stop swapping. We got literally zero snow (that stuck for more than an hour).

i do appreciate your feedback on the 235/45

tigeo

Autocross Champion
we get such swings in temperature during fall and spring, i just dont want to deal with something that should not be driven below 40 deg.

so i figure why not get something that can handle the temp swings and can handle most weather conditions. Honestly, if next winter is anything like this year, I may stop swapping. We got literally zero snow (that stuck for more than an hour).

i do appreciate your feedback on the 235/45
Michelin PS4 all seasons are a fantastic street tire and the difference between it and a summer are much less than folks make it out to be. Plenty of testing out there to show just that. I have a set as well as a set of summers (Conti ECS) and TBH I may just bail on summers when they are worn out this year/sell off those wheels b/c it's not that much better for street driving plus I have a set of track wheels/200s that I can run if I really want more grip on the street. I always say that if you can't drive a set of PS4 all seasons hard on a public road then it's driver mod time...hell I tracked them at VIR. Disclaimer - I'm not talking about straight line/wheel spin issues that the fwd crew deals with as I have awd on my wagon.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Any progress on the 18” vs5rs?

Actually, yes! We were able to make a few spoke changes to the 18x9" ET42 VS-5RS to allow us to clear the main VW BBKs to make production worth while. While brake clearance won't be as great as we initially wanted (i.e it can't clear the 8-pot RS3/TTRS brakes like the 18x9" ET42 SM-10 can), it will still be a solid light weight forged option that will work for the vast majority of VW options. Now that the design/engineering work is wrapped up, its just a matter of pushing it into production. I should have a timeline/ETA update on this for you guys within the next week or two.

-Geirsen

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Actually, yes! We were able to make a few spoke changes to the 18x9" ET42 VS-5RS to allow us to clear the main VW BBKs to make production worth while. While brake clearance won't be as great as we initially wanted (i.e it can't clear the 8-pot RS3/TTRS brakes like the 18x9" ET42 SM-10 can), it will still be a solid light weight forged option that will work for the vast majority of VW options. Now that the design/engineering work is wrapped up, its just a matter of pushing it into production. I should have a timeline/ETA update on this for you guys within the next week or two.

-Geirsen
Will it fit the 4-pot 370mm Mk2 TTRS brakes?

tigeo

Autocross Champion

-Geirsen
Interesting as the EQT crew was saying they had these when I questioned it in one of their sale ads on FB. I was right, no forged 18s yet.