GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noisy rear brakes

Pay2play

Passed Driver's Ed
Ever since I got my car it has had noisy brakes. They don't sound squeaky. It sounds like the crunchy noise when you drive slowly over snow. Sort of muffled crunch.

Another sound it makes is the chhhhhhh sound. I never owned a car that had these types of noises. I took it to the dealer and they said there's nothing wrong with my car and it just so happened that my car wasn't making noise then.

It gets worse after a rain or in the morning when it's colder. But overall I can always sort of hear and feel the rear brakes.

Also there is a cable that I can see under the car that hangs an inch. I was told this is the e brake cable and it's meant to hang like that. Again never had a car with hanging cables before.

Any ideas?

Floader

Passed Driver's Ed
The 16 we have makes a little noise out of the rear brakes for the first few stops when I let is sit for a day or so and its been damp. I figure it gets a little rust on the rotors and makes some noise till its cleaned off. Not going to hurt anything. The E-brake cables do hang down a little bit, strange to see on a VW, but not that uncommon to see on other makes.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The parking brake cables are normal, one on each side. They are safe; don't worry. I think the aero contours in the underbody may hang just as low.

The sound isn't easily diagnosed over an internet forum. Know that brake rotors do accumulate surface rust, even overnight when it's humid/damp, so you will get some noise under very light braking until it is clear. Give it one solid braking at the first red light or stop sign and that'll be gone though. If the noise persists, then you can escalate to a dealer.

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
That's surface rust on the rotors, nothing to worry about man.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
One GOOD stop from around 50mph will make it stop straight away. ut happens every time the discs get wet and then are left to dry. As said just eurface rust and nothing to worry about.

this ^^

Surface rust. It's winter. You have a performance car, drive it like a performance car, at least from time to time.

mensaman

Ready to race!
Everyone says to ignore these noises and after I had the dealer tell me they were fine, I did. Then a month or so later the noise disappeared, yay!

So all is fine for another month, then I notice a single section in the middle of one rear rotor that is rusted and the rest is clean. Turns out that pad had broken and the noise was from tiny pieces stuck in between until a larger chunk fell out causing the rust ring. My dealer replaced the pad and rotor a few days later.

I'm not saying you have a problem as apparently many people have brake noise in these cars. Just make sure you check thoroughly before ignoring it.