GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newly joined - just ordered GTI

pjr

Ready to race!
Hi,

Just joined today after ordering my GTI last weekend. Dealership already had one on order with a build week of 13, so are planning on altering it to my spec which is:-

Tornado Red 5 Door Manual (220PS)
Discover Nav
Winter Pack

Haven't had the build week confirmed yet, or an order number, but the salesman thought I should be able to get that information this week, and they were hoping for a delivery date in late April.

I had also been considering a GTD, but I don't really do enough miles to justify a diesel (although my current A3 is a diesel) so the GTI it had to be!

I was also thinking about a new A3, but for slightly more money I could get a GTI rather than a 1.4 A3 S-Line. I would also have had to delve pretty far into the Audi options list to get an equivalent spec, and in fact to get all the same equipment as a GTI would have made the A3 more expensive, and still only a 1.4

mon2s

Ready to race!
Welcome pjr. You've got a nice short(ish) wait there. I'm expecting a build around the same time but ordered over a month ago.

pjr

Ready to race!
And getting shorter all the time - dealer phoned me this afternoon to say my GTI was now scheduled for BW12, with delivery probably mid April.

A more local dealer to me said it would be a 6 month wait for a Golf (any Golf, not just a GTI) :eek:

Although I'm used to long(er) waits as I ordered my Audi in May for September delivery.......

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I had also been considering a GTD, but I don't really do enough miles to justify a diesel (although my current A3 is a diesel) so the GTI it had to be!
Welcome to the forum! :)

I am not taking issue with you but just curious about the statement you made as with the GTD and GTI its the unusual situation of the GTD actually being the cheaper model, and of course the fuel costs will be a little cheaper even with a low annual mileage and servicing costs are the same (plus lower tax)?

What is there to 'justify'? :)

pjr

Ready to race!
I get that a GTD would be cheaper to buy and run, even over a relatively low mileage, but the justification (to me) was that I didn't think I would get the best benefit out of running a diesel because of my typical types of driving.

While during the week I do mostly city driving, with slightly longer journeys at the weekend, my current Audi does seem to do a DPF regen rather more often than I would like, with a commensurate drop in economy while it's doing it.

I've been lucky so far that i've not had the DPF warning lights coming on, and having to force a regen, but I had pretty much decided on going back to petrol for my next car and was considering both GTI & GTD because of their similar prices.

The nearest I got to test driving a GTD was a 150PS GT diesel although I did get to see both a GTD & GTI side by side (The GTD had been sold by the time I got the garage, so couldn't test drive it). Perhaps if I'd driven them both I might have made a different decision, but I think, for me, the GTI was the right choice.

Thanks for the welcome to the site, by the way :)