GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member with few questions

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
As soon as you got home and then at 1K miles? Excessive and unnecessary.

Excessive? Perhaps. It's an inexpensive way of getting rid of any potential remaining machining swarf out of the engine before it can do much damage.
And how many race engines have YOU personally built? And I'm not talking about bolt-on and/or plug-in stuff.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Excessive? Perhaps. It's an inexpensive way of getting rid of any potential remaining machining swarf out of the engine before it can do much damage.
And how many race engines have YOU personally built? And I'm not talking about bolt-on and/or plug-in stuff.
OH so you bought the version of our car with a race engine? LOL Come on dude, it is unnecessary. If you have money to burn like that, then congrats. But don't start talking shit about race engines.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to tell you but every time you get gas you're putting a minimum of 10% ethanol in your tank.
I believe it's "up to" 10% in standard gas. But the OP's question was "can I run 2-3 gallons of E85 " which is, of course, 85% Ethanol and the basis for my reply. I don't believe the R's engine will run on E85 without an after market kit anyway (full tank, not "blended" a few gallons here and there.)

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Oil changes are just a social construct made by big oil companies.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I believe it's "up to" 10% in standard gas. But the OP's question was "can I run 2-3 gallons of E85 " which is, of course, 85% Ethanol and the basis for my reply. I don't believe the R's engine will run on E85 without an after market kit anyway (full tank, not "blended" a few gallons here and there.)

He didn't want to run full E85. Just add a few gallons.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
all this is mute. All these cars are beat on between the time of manufacture and delivery. So many different people have already driven them. Just drive it normally without redlining or launching. Let the car slow down under engine braking so that the rings can seal with the vacuum. Change oil and filter at 1k. Then normal oil changes after that.
Simply not true. Many cars on lots have fewer than 20 miles. In fact, most.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Simply not true. Many cars on lots have fewer than 20 miles. In fact, most.

Mine only had 35 miles and most of that was because the dealer I bought it from had to get it from another dealer and drive it across town.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The reality is, most cars are test driven and driven by factory dealer personnel before you buy it. I promise they didn't warm the car up and romped on it. With modern metallurgy and machining, today's engines are broken in within 100 miles, if not less. 1000 miles is so 1960"s. I've autocrossed and tracked my last 10 cars straight off the lot to the track the next weekend. Never a drop of oil burned before 100k miles on any of them.

But at the end of the day, it's up to you, but the science says you can't properly break in those rings without some pressure.