GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help deciding. MK7 GTI or MK6 Golf R

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
This topic has been talked about a bunch of times, but I still can't decide what to get. A little background on my current situation. I had a MK6 Gti for 35 months. I recently got into a car crash and the car is now totaled. Insurance gave me a decent amount for my Mk6 GTI, and now I'm in desperate need of a car. It's been about 4 weeks and I've been driving my grandpas rape van around that gets about 12 MPG.

Anyways I'm torn between the two because a used Golf R is about the same price as the GTI I want with all the options. I've made a list of pros and cons, but still can't decide. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

MK6 GOLF R PROS
-AWD
-Faster stock

CONS
-MPG not as good
-More expensive to tune
-Financing rate may not be as good compared to the GTI

I would say interior is about tied for both.

MK7 GTI SE PROS
-better MPG
-brand new warranty
-cheaper to tune
-tune gets you faster
than a tuned golf R

CONS
-FWD
-the "blown turbo" issue
-other issues that are not known yet (and yes I plan on tuning/modding it)

At the end of the day it basically comes down to the AWD factor. I live in Chicago and our winters can be pretty brutal. I've never had that big of any issue with my previous FWD cars, but AWD would be really nice. One of the main reasons to go with the MK7 GTI is because I like the new body style. I've had a MK6 Golf 2.5, and a MK6 GTI so I'm pretty use to the body style. A refresh would be nice.

I've read other debates about these two cars, and a lot of people are saying to go with the Golf R because it has AWD. I went and test drove a Golf R the other day and it drove great. If I could I would just get a MK7 R, but I can't afford it. Anyways, let me know what you think.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
Also I found a pretty good deal on a MK7 GTI SE with lighting package in the color I want. The Golf R I've been looking at is about $900 more with about 15,000 miles (also the color I want).

Ruyleo

Drive both and go for the handling that feels better. Your going to tune either way so it's going to be quick. I'm in the process of having my MK7 tuned and am expecting around 300 hp for around $2k investment. That excites the hell out of me but the thing that keeps putting a smile on me is the way this car handles. I love the eagerness of the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jrokami13

Ready to race!
I don't think a tuned MK7 GTI is faster than a tuned MK6 Golf R. A stage 2+ R has the same power level as a K04 GTI. I owned a MK6 GTI and to reach the power levels and handling of an R more parts are required. The R is a sturdier platform to start with and you have the added benefit of AWD. MK7 cheaper to tune, only if you are going to do a tune and CAI since there aren't that many parts available yet. What mods are you planning on? Oh, I would go with the R.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Ignoring the performance for a second, the mk7 is a MUCH better looking car. IMHO. ;)

Boosted_2.0

Ready to race!
The mk6 r has a ton of cam issues. Forget the part but you have to replace it every other oil change. That would steer me away.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
I don't think a tuned MK7 GTI is faster than a tuned MK6 Golf R. A stage 2+ R has the same power level as a K04 GTI. I owned a MK6 GTI and to reach the power levels and handling of an R more parts are required. The R is a sturdier platform to start with and you have the added benefit of AWD. MK7 cheaper to tune, only if you are going to do a tune and CAI since there aren't that many parts available yet. What mods are you planning on? Oh, I would go with the R.
I was more comparing stage 1 vs stage 1 (for now). As of right now the R does have more potential, but I'm not planning on doing anything crazy. The most I would do is stage 2+.

Ignoring the performance for a second, the mk7 is a MUCH better looking car. IMHO. ;)

I honestly love the look of them both.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Mk6 R has quite an old motor at this point... I'd go Mk7

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
Made a decision today. I went with the MK7. At the end of the day I got a better financing rate, and it's going to cost me less per month for my payment and less per month on gas. I picked up a 2015 GTI SE, 2 door manual in black. Sunroof, fender audio, and leather interior. I couldn't be more happier with the car. I personally feel that it drives better than the Golf R. It feels more tighter and more responsive when it comes to turning.

-Thanks for everybody's help. It was a really hard decision to make, but I'm glad I went with the MK7.