GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My first track day..

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I've been a regular autocrosser for years, but had my first track day this weekend. Our SCCA region held the event at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I ran my Golf R in Novice B (250+ hp) on street tires (Potenza S-04's.) Below is kind of a long winded summary of my day.

First Session - Lead/Follow with about 4-5 cars behind each instructor.

- Speeds were fairly slow to start. Even though the instructor's were driving the "racing line", I was surprised how
many novices didn't have a clue what line to take. Driver's just a few cars back were often completely off-line, even though they could see the lead car.

- It was difficult to get into a rhythm of when to downshift/brake/turn-in etc., since "follow" cars would pile up before a corner and brake much too early. I often had to brake on corner exit, since traffic would accelerate out slower than I anticipated.

- Toward the end of the session, speeds picked up and people gained some confidence. I hung back a little on the straights so I could at least get a better feel for corner entry. Starting to have fun now...

Second Session - Point by passing practice. Still lead/follow. The car immediately behind the instructor would give a point-by in the passing zones, and the remaining 3-4 cars would have to pass on the straight.

- More than once, the car in front of me followed the car to be passed, and hit his brakes behind him (argh - really!)

- Learned to anticipate the point-by, and begin to accelerate 100% for the pass before the passing zone. This was especially helpfull since I was still on the lower end of the +250 hp group, and 3-4 cars needed to make the pass at once.

- The exercise was very good in getting the timing and feel down for making a real pass in the following sessions.

Third Session - No more Lead/Follow. Point by passing allowed in 2 passing zones.

- I gridded 3nd in line. A friend with a Focus RS was behind me. I was nervous I'd get my butt kicked by all the other high-hp cars behind, and assumed I would need to allow a lot of point-bys.

- The first two cars were slow, and I was on their arse for 1.5 laps with no point-by. "C'mon, let me pass!"

- Both gave me the point by, and I was on my own with a clear track. Yikes! With no-one in front, the track looks different. Brake/turn in points are tough to see. Speeds are tough to judge without another car as a marker. I actually drove slower than I could of, because I was a bit scared.

- I got nervous, and gave the RS and a ruckus Corvette the point-by. With cars in front, it was easier to drive and focus at speed.

- Initially I was suffering from understeer, and a bit frustrated with my cornering speed. I was driving the car like a FWD. Hey, guess what? I have AWD! When I mash the throttle, the understeer goes away, and the car turns! My speed picked up a lot.

- The RS got a little sideways in the corner after the front straight. I think he scared himself, and he let me make a pass on the next straight.

- The Corvette was long gone, and I had an open course in front of me again. This time, I had a better feel of the track, and didn't need a rabbit to find the corners. I was driving at the upper limit of my comfort level, without getting over my head.

- None of the other big HP cars were on my butt, and I eventually caught up and passed some of the slower drivers before the session ended.

Last Session

- I gridded about mid-pack, and had a couple Camaro's immediately in front of me.

- Once on course, there was a line behind a slower group. Even with point-bys, it took several laps for everyone to get around them. I almost pitted to give my self space to run on my own, but stuck it out.

- Finally the two Cameros and myself made the pass. Sure, they pulled me on the straights, but both were braking much earlier. I was on their butt in the corners!

- I got the point by one, after watching his rear-end get squirrelly in a few corners. Onto the next..

- Again, another point by. I pulled enough gap on them in the corners that they were not a threat on the straights, and began to open up more and more space.

- Again, caught up to slower traffic, made some passes, and the session was done.

Summary
I'm hooked. I'll probably run intermediate next time around, and will likely get my arse handed to me by more hardcore track guys.

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
If you're looking for more, the Audi Club will be at Spring Mountain in Pahrump on Jan 18-19. Unlike your experience with the SCCA they provide in-car instruction and it's a 2 day event. Early bird pricing ends today and registration goes from $475 to $525 tomorrow, 12/3. Spring Mountain is a fun track, fairly technical, and challenging to learn.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...ntain-winter-20-na-southern-california-589262

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the head's up. With X-mass coming up, it's a little pricey for me right now. I'll probably do a few more SCCA/LVMS events on street tires, but will need to decide how deep to get (another set of rims/track tires) etc.