GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mib2 Composition Media vs Discover Pro control unit brain

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I have a 2017 Golf R that I installed the 8" Discover Pro screen but still using the Comp Media control unit that came with the car. My question is what is the difference between the two and what is there to gain features options ect?

The correct Discover Pro control unit brain can be purchased from the dealer since it was offered in Canada.

fullsizeoutput_28e.jpeg

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
You'd gain some internal storage for music - but who cares when a 64gb SD card is $15? I think the maps are also stored internally? I *think* it also supports DVDs, not positive on that one (the version in the eGolf did). Not nearly enough to warrant replacing a perfectly good Composition Media unit IMHO. Huge hassle to get a replacement properly coded to your car, and who knows what other potential headaches might lurk - in exchange for a huge outlay of cash for few additional features.

Doing the 8" screen upgrade hits the sweet spot. I think you're set.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
so more or less I gain nothing I figure I'd ask since I work for Audi/VW so I pay cost on all my parts

Last edited:

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I think the bigger opportunity lies in your ability to get parts at cost then distribute to your forum buddies for a marginal profit. Just a thought.

relive

Ready to race!
I think the bigger opportunity lies in your ability to get parts at cost then distribute to your forum buddies for a marginal profit. Just a thought.

This. There are a lot of people on these forums and in the community at large who are interested in the matte 8" screens and trim piece if they were available at reasonable prices in the US.

Smahatma

My opinion having just done a mib1 -> mib2.5 disco pro retrofit with the 9.2" screen and 1) attempted to hack the brain unit myself and then 2) gave up and ordered a brain unit from APG

Not nearly enough to warrant replacing a perfectly good Composition Media unit IMHO.
I would agree with this if you already have active carplay/androidauto.

Huge hassle to get a replacement properly coded to your car, and who knows what other potential headaches might lurk - in exchange for a huge outlay of cash for few additional features.
Buying a used unit and trying to get someone to code the unit remotely (i.e the guy from Poland) is a pain in the ass. My pre-coded unit from APG was entirely plug and play and fully up to date on arrival and really didnt cost that much more, well worth it to skip the hassle if you don't need SiriusXM (these are euro units flashed with north american firmwares). The unit including express shipping actually cost less than what the original poster listed above as 'cost'.

Last edited:

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
This. There are a lot of people on these forums and in the community at large who are interested in the matte 8" screens and trim piece if they were available at reasonable prices in the US.

go online most of the US dealers are selling for cost plus 10%, there is inventory on the trim piece and screens that can be ordered from your dealer with warranty.

thumbnail_Image.jpg
thumbnail_Image.jpg

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
My opinion having just done a mib1 -> mib2.5 disco pro retrofit with the 9.2" screen and 1) attempted to hack the brain unit myself and then 2) gave up and ordered a brain unit from APG

I would agree with this if you already have active carplay/androidauto.

Buying a used unit and trying to get someone to code the unit remotely (i.e the guy from Poland) is a pain in the ass. My pre-coded unit from APG was entirely plug and play and fully up to date on arrival and really didnt cost that much more, well worth it to skip the hassle if you don't need SiriusXM (these are euro units flashed with north american firmwares). The unit including express shipping actually cost less than what the original poster listed above as 'cost'.

why order from Europe when I can get the 9.2 screen from my dealer $598 and the control units for $1500 both with 2year factory warranty and ment for NAR cars.

https://parts.vwofpeoria.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-control-panel-5g6919606b
https://parts.vwofpeoria.com/oem-pa...unit-5na035026?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=

Smahatma

why order from Europe when I can get the 9.2 screen from my dealer $598 and the control units for $1500 both with 2year factory warranty and ment for NAR cars.
if you can get someone at the dealership you work at to obtain and implement the appropriate FeCs that you dont already have (?may have to purchase a few additional?), should be easier for you than us MIB1 guys since you have a 17 and most of your FeCs can just straight transfer, then go for it.

my comment was mostly regarding the coding difficulty for the rest of us that don't have ODIS/FaZiT access, the pre-modified units have everything already done (component protection, long codings for appropriate sound system, FeCs, latest firmware, latest maps, etc), plug and play

and back to the original question again....if i were you, i wouldn't bother spending $1400 upgrading your brain unit for your existing matte 8" screen, i'd spend a little more and go straight for the mib2.5 disco pro unit solely for the higher resolution, brighter and more contrasty 9.2" screen

Last edited:

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
if you can get someone at the dealership you work at to obtain and implement the appropriate FeCs that you dont already have (?may have to purchase a few additional?), should be easier for you than us MIB1 guys since you have a 17 and most of your FeCs can just straight transfer, then go for it.

my comment was mostly regarding the coding difficulty for the rest of us that don't have ODIS/FaZiT access, the pre-modified units have everything already done (component protection, long codings for appropriate sound system, FeCs, latest firmware, latest maps, etc), plug and play

and back to the original question again....if i were you, i wouldn't bother spending $1400 upgrading your brain unit for your existing matte 8" screen, i'd spend a little more and go straight for the mib2.5 disco pro unit solely for the higher resolution, brighter and more contrasty 9.2" screen

Fortunately I have access to Otis and able to obtain any SVM codes needed for programming.As you mentioned I will keep the system how it is since there will be nothing to gain by using the Discover Pro brain. If I had a 7.5 then I would do the 9.2 Discover Pro swap since I can get the needed parts from the dealer.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
so after a little more research I found out that the main gain by using the Discover Pro brain with the Discover Pro 8" screen will give you the correct screen resolution/formatting

ryohei47

Ready to race!
so after a little more research I found out that the main gain by using the Discover Pro brain with the Discover Pro 8" screen will give you the correct screen resolution/formatting

What is the correct screen resolution vs what you get with Discover Pro Screen + Comp Media brain?

abelmolnar

Car(s)
Passat B8
it's the lpi same as a computer
Hi. Im planning to do the same with my Passat B8: having a MIB2 control unit (car play, android auto enabled), and swapping from 6.5 discover media screen to 8" discover pro. Did you ultimately change the head unit to pro or stayed with the discover media head unit? What about the resolution? Will I get poor resolution and layout on the screen using the original discover media head unit? Thanks