GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for opinions on a good winter tire

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I have never put winter/snow tires on my GTI.....but I learned from driving my MK6 in the winter, that all seasons just don't cut it (at all)

So now my MK7 is about to see it's first (Pittsburgh) winter and I am shopping/browsing online for some tires. I usually get my tires from TireRack or Discount Tire Direct

I look at all of them.....and read all the customer reviews

It's AMAZING how the reviews on a specific tire can vary from "Greatest tire ever...blasts through snow like nothing...will definitely buy again!" To the next review that says "Worst tire ever...don't waste your money!"

This inconsistency in reviews is what I see from EVERY tire I look at....no matter what the brand or price.

We all know "Blizzaks"....

But that is a dedicated "snow" tire. There are also "Winter" tires...which are less aggressive...more dry road/higher speed friendly (but not as good on snow/ice)...but better than an all season tire

My car is my daily driver and I drive an hour to and from work daily...all on the highway

So I am debating which I should get..."snow" or "winter". No one can predict the weather...and I'm sure no matter what I choose, I will regret that I didn't get the other haha

Discount Tire has a tire made by FALKEN called EUROWINTER. It looks like a winter tire more than a snow tire

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...17691&counter=0&ar=40&rd=18&vid=031995&cs=225

It is very reasonably priced...but has mixed reviews. Everything from "awesome" to "shitty"

Should I give them a shot? Anyone have experience with these? Or should I just go for something like the popular Blizzaks?

Anyone have any other tire to recommend, keeping my location and daily driving in mind

*Also....I will be using my 18" Austin's to mount these....and I have the PP LSD....if that matters*

I did some searching on the forums but didn't find any threads regarding this topic

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Not sure if they're dedicated enough for you, but I had Continental DWS06's in the past and loved them. I had no issues with traction in the snow, even up to 6". Mounted on a 335i RWD, btw.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I (still) swear by the General Arctics. The compound/tread last forever and they're (priced) cheap

Not a performance snow tire (though I'm not sure who "needs" a performance tire when it's 30 degrees out or snowy or icy?), but they will get the job done

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've used a bunch of different ones over the years, and really, among the usual suspects I don't see that much difference. Unless you plan to, I dunno, race on winter tires or something, or use your car often in full-on blizzards, most of the mainstream winter tires are fine. I do recommend a set of winter rims though. It's just easier to swap out and preserves your nice wheels from the salt and grime.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I like the look and price of the General but don't come in 18"

I'm getting BBS in the Spring. Not a big fan of the Austin's that's why I'm using them as my winter wheel

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
For a winter tire narrow is better. I'd recommend buying a set of wheels for your winter tires. Tires are not meant to be busted off the rims every spring & winter. Living in Pitt you really do need a winter tire. I've had good luck with Blizzak's, but any dedicated winter tire is worlds better than an all season.

Edit...

I see you plan to use Austins as winter rims. Sell them & buy a 16 inch rim. 205-55-16 will work much better than a 225-40-18.

Last edited:

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
I ran Blizzak's in Anchorage, AK for 3 years and my MKIV never had problems with snow. My MKIV has Continental DSW06's now and I've heard great things about them. Haven't really tried them in the snow yet.