GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

linear vs. progressive springs?

Richie1

I have a 2015 PP GTI on order and am scheduled for delivery in four more weeks. I have watched everyones input on lowering the GTI. Most everybody is running VWR springs and are very happy and from what I have seen they look great eliminating the wheel gap. I ordered my GTI with DCC and am also looking to get rid of the wheel gap. I have ran H&R sport springs before in the past and was happy with them but it left me wanting just a tad more lower. My mechanic is suggesting to me to run the H&R because they are a progressive spring and that I don't want to run a linear spring. Any input would be great

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Your ride is gonna be stiff as balls with ss springs and dcc. Comfort mode with the springs will be twice as stiff as sport mode would be with oem springs. So you can expect an unbearably harsh ride - and probably severely detrimental to performance - with Supersport springs on sport mode.

Honestly dude, Supersport springs are not meant for oem shocks. Sport or VWR is probably as low as you should go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55belairgasser

Passed Driver's Ed
You want to stick with linear spring, they will give you a much better ride. My last GTI had progressive and the ride was much harsher. Just my $.02.

Z27

Ready to race!
If you intend on keeping the stock shocks, I would stick to linear springs that have rates set to work with stock shocks such as DG and VWR. If you want more comfort and decide to go progressive, I would suggest changing your shocks as well.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I have HR sport springs on stock dampers, non-pp.. Rides fantastic, I love it. Comparable to my old street performance ss Coilovers on my Mk5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F12

Ready to race!
Are drivers gear springs even available for the MK7 yet? I've contacted local dealerships and they can't give me a straight answer.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Are drivers gear springs even available for the MK7 yet? I've contacted local dealerships and they can't give me a straight answer.

They are available.

They are in the "VW Zubehör" range of OEM accessories. Though not specifically listed for the Gti, they are available with several part numbers to match front/rear axle loads, i.e. DSG/Mt6, 2/4 door, etc. Made by Mueba, the OEM spring manufacturer, they are linear and are listed as a -10mm spring (1" is 25,4mm).

My dealer is honoring DCC warranty with these springs, perhaps yours will too?

I have received a set but have only today took delivery of my car. They will go on in a month or so.

To the OP, if you want to go very low whilst retaining DCC & chassis composure, look at KW's offering. Upscale for sure but worth every penny.

Ben.

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
Wow...there is a lot of bad information being written here. Please understand that a linear will not always ride better than a progressive rated spring, and vice versa.

To the OP. First there are visual differences between both springs. Progressive springs are funky looking as they are not proportionally shaped (think of a pig's tail,) whereas the linear springs are usually symmetrical. Both types of springs behave differently...The biggest determining factor on how comfortable/harsh a vehicle rides, is the spring rate.

Linear springs have a specific spring rate which consistently remains throughout the travel of the spring. You will see this type of spring on the majority of race applications. On race applications they need to know exactly where and how the vehicle will handle under certain conditions, the predictability of linear springs allows that to happen.

Progressive springs react in different ways. Not all street/city/highway driving is the same. With that said, spring manufactures strive to give you the best performance with the most amount of comfort, on a variety of different road surfaces. Let us call it the ''happy medium'' So figure a low immediate spring rate to handle slow speed bumps/imperfections and then something a little firmer as the travel increases to give it proper handling.

My suggestion for a daily driver would be to find a spring manufacturer that you trust, that provides the right amount of drop you are looking for with or without the OE dampers, and disregard all this crap about linear vs progressive. Whether or not the springs offered are linear or progressive, it doesn't matter as the manufacturers more than likely provided a spring rate appropriate for your VW. The argument on which rides better, well that's silly as everyone has a different perception on how their vehicle should feel/ride/handle.

I have a 2015 PP GTI on order and am scheduled for delivery in four more weeks. I have watched everyones input on lowering the GTI. Most everybody is running VWR springs and are very happy and from what I have seen they look great eliminating the wheel gap. I ordered my GTI with DCC and am also looking to get rid of the wheel gap. I have ran H&R sport springs before in the past and was happy with them but it left me wanting just a tad more lower. My mechanic is suggesting to me to run the H&R because they are a progressive spring and that I don't want to run a linear spring. Any input would be great

enkil

Ready to race!
Thank you for the clear answer. Really confused with all the mumbo jumbos :D

Wow...there is a lot of bad information being written here. Please understand that a linear will not always ride better than a progressive rated spring, and vice versa.

To the OP. First there are visual differences between both springs. Progressive springs are funky looking as they are not proportionally shaped (think of a pig's tail,) whereas the linear springs are usually symmetrical. Both types of springs behave differently...The biggest determining factor on how comfortable/harsh a vehicle rides, is the spring rate.

Linear springs have a specific spring rate which consistently remains throughout the travel of the spring. You will see this type of spring on the majority of race applications. On race applications they need to know exactly where and how the vehicle will handle under certain conditions, the predictability of linear springs allows that to happen.

Progressive springs react in different ways. Not all street/city/highway driving is the same. With that said, spring manufactures strive to give you the best performance with the most amount of comfort, on a variety of different road surfaces. Let us call it the ''happy medium'' So figure a low immediate spring rate to handle slow speed bumps/imperfections and then something a little firmer as the travel increases to give it proper handling.

My suggestion for a daily driver would be to find a spring manufacturer that you trust, that provides the right amount of drop you are looking for with or without the OE dampers, and disregard all this crap about linear vs progressive. Whether or not the springs offered are linear or progressive, it doesn't matter as the manufacturers more than likely provided a spring rate appropriate for your VW. The argument on which rides better, well that's silly as everyone has a different perception on how their vehicle should feel/ride/handle.

Richie1

Thanks for all the input..I ordered my White PP 4DR SE GTI added lighting and DCC on Feb 28 and I pick it up on Jun 22.. First mod is tint and then I am thinking the VWR springs. I have heard so many different opines on H&R or VWR and honestly it is still a toss up. I am going with VWR and will post pics soon. It has been a long wait for delivery but this will be my ninth VW that I have owned. I started with a 76 rabbit and then 84 GTI and so on. I went to the new car show here in Portland Oregon back in February and looked at all the new cars and found myself still loving VW. The only hard choice was DSG or MT. After back surgery I had to give up the clutch and VW DSG seems to be the future. Thanks for all input and cheers to all who have theirs on order.