GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

inoperable sunroof sealant

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anyone refer me to the best sealant that goes around the perimeter of the sunroofs that aren't made to open? I searched the forum, but all I am finding applies to the sunroofs that open and close. I noticed mine has a lot of cracking. Looks like the regular black sealant used on windshields.

2018 Golf SE

Thanks

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
The joke is on me! after owning this car for 5 years, I discovered my sunroof does open and close! Obviously not a feature I care about, as it never occured to me to open it. Anyway, I am wondering if the seal can be replaced. I sent a pic to an auto glass shop and they replied that I needed to buy a new glass. They didn't offer to do a replacement so I trust they aren't just trying to sell glass.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Keep in mind that the exterior "seal" around the perimeter of your glass is not engineered to fully seal out all rainwater. It seals out most of it, but there's also an interior gutter around the entire perimeter to capture whatever rainwater enters past the exterior seal. It's connected to four drain tubes. This isn't just a VW thing; most automotive sunroofs are made this way.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
70845965439__4EACD1F3-07CF-4D41-9C5F-FFF409DD042F.jpeg

I called local VW parts dept and they have a replacement. It may be covered by warranty. I also found out that even if the seal totally fails, the drains will keep water out of the car. I tested the drains and they are all working well.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
View attachment 284243

I called local VW parts dept and they have a replacement. It may be covered by warranty. I also found out that even if the seal totally fails, the drains will keep water out of the car. I tested the drains and they are all working well.
Another option is just vinyl wrapping over the sunroof if you don't use it much and the replacement is costly.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that idea Hayden.

I took it to the dealer since I am under warranty and they said the rubber would be covered, but that it was a 2 day process. I can't remember the reason why it takes 2 days though. Anyway, I plan to let them take care of it, mostly for looks, AND, in few more months my car will be staying under a roof rather than out in the sun all day, so it will be nice to have a lasting fix.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for that idea Hayden.

I took it to the dealer since I am under warranty and they said the rubber would be covered, but that it was a 2 day process. I can't remember the reason why it takes 2 days though. Anyway, I plan to let them take care of it, mostly for looks, AND, in few more months my car will be staying under a roof rather than out in the sun all day, so it will be nice to have a lasting fix.

Ah, glad that you found a solution and a cost-free one at that. If the new rubber part is affixed with glue, perhaps it takes a few days for it to cure.