GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Properly Check Oil Level?

georgiatechME

Ready to race!
I talked with a reputable dealer recently, and their procedure for oil changes + filter is to put the car on a lift, change oil and filter, run car for 15 secs to soak the filter, shut off, then immediately check oil level and verify proper level. Take it off the lift, done.

I've heard mixed comments regarding checking the oil level during normal use. Check when oil is cold (per example above), check only when oil is a little warm, check when oil is at operating temp, check right after engine is shut off, check 15 min after engine is shut off so all of the oil drains into the oil pan, etc.

My question is - what is the actual method to check our oil level? I've been following the first example - in the morning every other weekend, I start the car for 15 seconds, shut it off, and check the (cold) oil level.

Thoughts?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I don't know if there is a prescribed method, but I always bring the car up to operating temperature and then shut it off and give it five minutes for all oil to drain back to pan before checking level.

Dealers aren't going to do this because time is money. They can turn another car through in the time it would take to warm up the first one's oil.

Oil expands somewhat between ambient and operating temperature, but not so much that you couldn't safely check the oil either cold or at operating temp. Just be smart about it. If it's cold, don't fill it all the way to the top mark, and if its at operating temperature, make sure it's near the top, because it will drop just a hair when it cools down.

Don't sweat it too much. Keep it between the bends!

georgiatechME

Ready to race!
I agree 100%, you're the man. Just wanted to see what others thought as well :).

I don't know if there is a prescribed method, but I always bring the car up to operating temperature and then shut it off and give it five minutes for all oil to drain back to pan before checking level.

Dealers aren't going to do this because time is money. They can turn another car through in the time it would take to warm up the first one's oil.

Oil expands somewhat between ambient and operating temperature, but not so much that you couldn't safely check the oil either cold or at operating temp. Just be smart about it. If it's cold, don't fill it all the way to the top mark, and if its at operating temperature, make sure it's near the top, because it will drop just a hair when it cools down.

Don't sweat it too much. Keep it between the bends!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Also, you'd save yourself a cold start (the worst time for wear for an engine) every other weekend if you just checked it five minutes after you shut it off after work on Friday. Just saying.