GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How my motorcycle convinced me not to get a tune for my R

CarlsbadMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't think anyone really thinks the R needs the number of mods that say, a GTI might possibly need to make it much more entertaining. Suspension seems well sorted, brakes are likely enough for enthusiastic driving, and the power/torque is there.

BUT, if you've got a mod-friendly dealer available to you or perhaps have a relationship with a VW service advisor, I think a stage 1 tune (with everything else stock) would give you near-supercar levels of performance for not so much $$$.

nikhsub11

Banned
Why do people feel they need to justify things on the internet? If you don't want to mod the car don't! It's totally fine the way it is and no one will judge you - at least not me. I like to do certain mods to all my cars but I needn't seek anyone's approval nor do I give a shit what others think.

The MK7 R is a great car stock and many will be totally content with it that way.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I don't think anyone really thinks the R needs the number of mods that say, a GTI might possibly need to make it much more entertaining. Suspension seems well sorted, brakes are likely enough for enthusiastic driving, and the power/torque is there.

this is quite subjective. some think the GTI is more fun than the R because it's not as well sorted. it's a bit hairier coming out of corners than the well-planted R. sure the R is faster, no question, but that does not always mean more fun.

same thing goes for mods. some are happy with a stock GTI, some are not. some are happy with a stock R, some are not. some just want to blow a bunch of money to make the car their own rather than like every other GTI or R on the road.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
And where do you go that fast in Philly traffic? Last October when I was there even 95 at off peak times sucked.

I've lived in Chicago, Houston, and Philly, and spent a great deal of time in LA and NYC; Philadelphia traffic isn't so bad for a big city. And after the rush hours are over, we have a "special situation" with speed limits. In PA, only the State Police are authorized to use radar (yes, I know it's crazy), and they loathe driving into the Philadelphia city limits, so you pretty much have to whiz past a Philly cop car on the highway to get a speeding ticket until you get out of town. Sometimes bureaucratic turf battles can be quite convenient. That said, I only go WOT when there are few cars around me.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Crotch Rocket = Organ Donor.

Fast motorcycles are a lot like guns, you have to respect them for the incredible potential damage they can do. And you're right, a lot of crotch rockets are ridden way past their rider's capabilities. It's oh so easy to jump on one's bike and start thinking like Icarus only to fly too close to the sun. But I've been doing it for 45 years now, and I just can't kick the habit.

CarlsbadMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Had many bikes from college until my mid 30s, with a handful of "this is the end" moments. Nowadays, with cagers texting, making calls, putting makeup on, and eating lunch in their cars, I just can't do it any more. Not to mention the general feeling that road rage is ever-present these days, I'm gonna be a full-time cager. May get a dual purpose to take out to the country occasionally, but that would be the extent of it.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I have to agree with you on this. I always always convinced I would get the APR tune on my S3, but lately I have been thinking "for what?". I get that the 0-60 is insane, and it is a massive upgrade. But the more I think about it, I don't know that it is even worth the potential for headaches, warranty issues, etc. On my mk6 gti, I had the stage 1, and still sing its praises. Never had an issue due to the tune, and doubt I would with the S3. But at the end of the day (I did feel the GTI was really lacking without a tune, but don't feel that way with the S3/R), I really can't even use what I have now on the road. I don't fault anyone who does tune, it is fantastic, but I think I may have hit a point where I am done messing with my daily driver.