GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hand brake adjustment after replacing rear caliper, rotors, pads

capridp

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf TSI
I changed the rear caliper, rotors and pads on my golf highline. Bled the brakes after each side was done. Manual handbrake did not reset. It is soft. I read somewhere that they are self adjusting - is this for ebrakes only? Otherwise would someone know how to adjust the handbrake? I'm almost there but the handbrake did not return to its firmer position as it was before the brake job.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
So pulling the lever all the way up does not lock the rears?
Did you turn the piston all the way back into the caliper? That is the only adjustment at the caliper.
Were the pistons easy to turn and retract?
Try pulling up (locking the rears) many times on the handbrake to reset the piston to final position.

If the cables stretched, opening up the center console and resetting the locknuts may help.
If the cable housing is damaged, your going to have to replace it (both housings).
If your pistons are sticky, well, I've had to replace the aluminum caliper before. A friend (2016 gti) just replaced both due to corrosion around the piston.

Last edited:

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I changed the rear caliper, rotors and pads on my golf highline. Bled the brakes after each side was done. Manual handbrake did not reset. It is soft. I read somewhere that they are self adjusting - is this for ebrakes only? Otherwise would someone know how to adjust the handbrake? I'm almost there but the handbrake did not return to its firmer position as it was before the brake job.
Thanks for asking this question. When I finished my pads and rotors, I sort of noticed the same thing - ebrake seemed too easy to pull…then after using it a couple times, it seemed to go back to normal. I haven’t driven it much though so I’ll let you know if it continues to be okay or if it feels soft. Ebrakes are pretty important on manuals…