GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf in the snow?

larissavv96

Hi there! I was just wondering what you guys' experience was in the snow with your Golf? I currently drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4wd and am looking to upgrade to a 2015 Golf S with a sunroof (automatic), however I'm a little worried with how it'll perform in the snow since its a fwd. Also, I've only ever driven the Jeep so I don't know anything other than 4wd, especially when it's slippery out...

Thanks!!! I really appreciate your help!!!!

yankle

Ready to race!
My daily driver is a mk4 gti and it's the best car I've ever driven in snow. It's not because the car itself is so great, I put some blizzaks on that baby and she can pretty much plow through anything that's less than 10 inches deep, and she stops and turns like no other 4wd car I've driven with all seasons.

It's all about the tires. My advice is to get snow tires for winter, summer tires when the weather is good. It'll change your life. :)

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Live my entire life in the Chicagoland area and I have owned several RWD(Camaro, Trans Am RX7), 4WD(Wrangler, S-10) and FWD vehicles. FWD has never gotten me stuck anywhere. Most of my FWD vehicles were never equipped with anything more than all season tires. Certainly FWD traction while accelerating from a stop is going to be very different than what you are used to in your Jeep but braking and turning(off throttle) shouldn't pose any issue. I have every ounce of faith in my GTIs snow performance and it is by far the best in the snow of all the FWD cars I've owned. If in doubt, get dedicated snow tires.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

pkvir

Passed Driver's Ed
We have had ice and snow multiple times this year in north Texas and I am more then impressed on how the GTI handled it. My last car was a RWD G37 which was horrible in comparison.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You have a Golf GTI you mean?:confused:

-__________________________- he was asking about the Golf. They have different suspension/tires/rims from the GTI, however the same chassis. I'd imagine that, while they're different in some ways, they're also similar in others. My point was that, for what it's worth, my GTI does very well in the snow, and I bet the Golf does similarly well.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi there! I was just wondering what you guys' experience was in the snow with your Golf? I currently drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4wd and am looking to upgrade to a 2015 Golf S with a sunroof (automatic), however I'm a little worried with how it'll perform in the snow since its a fwd. Also, I've only ever driven the Jeep so I don't know anything other than 4wd, especially when it's slippery out...

Did you have mud/winter/all season tyres on your Jeep?

If you did then the Golf will be worse (even with winters on) in extreme conditions.

However if you just had standard tyres on your Jeep then the Golf with a set of winters on will be better.............

In general the Golf will feel So Alive in terms of handling compared to the Jeep.....................:D

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
I have a Golf 1.8T SE and we had about 6-8 inches of snow this past 2 days here in PA. car handled like a dream, didnt get stuck once. it went through everything just fine and even on turns it kept itself going. very impressed.

larissavv96

Did you have mud/winter/all season tyres on your Jeep?

If you did then the Golf will be worse (even with winters on) in extreme conditions.

However if you just had standard tyres on your Jeep then the Golf with a set of winters on will be better.............

In general the Golf will feel So Alive in terms of handling compared to the Jeep.....................:D

I have all terrain tires on my Jeep so it handles very well in the snow

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion

I've seen to many SUV's and pickups flip in the snow, I always prefer something with a lower CG even if you risk getting stuck. If snow is your main criteria you could always get a Sub Outback.

Brix

at -22F with ice and snow on the road, my GTI feels like a soap bar dropped in a bathtub !

I have Blizzak ws80 tires which are quoted as #1 but this is the worst car I ever owned (winter time). I do prefer the handling of my Jetta TDI MKV or my Passat B7 since these car are much longer and won't swing you around.

Also the clearance is so low that you need to stay alert otherwise you will crack your heavy duty plastic oil pan.

I like this car but to be honest hard Canadian winter are not design for that car.

I can't wait to see the R 4motion in 2016 !!

Finally I am waiting for the spring to come and fully enjoy the car ;)

larissavv96 I wish our winter will be like yours...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
at -22F with ice and snow on the road, my GTI feels like a soap bar dropped in a bathtub !

I have Blizzak ws80 tires which are quoted as #1 but this is the worst car I ever owned (winter time). I do prefer the handling of my Jetta TDI MKV or my Passat B7 since these car are much longer and won't swing you around.

Also the clearance is so low that you need to stay alert otherwise you will crack your heavy duty plastic oil pan.

I like this car but to be honest hard Canadian winter are not design for that car.

I can't wait to see the R 4motion in 2016 !!

Finally I am waiting for the spring to come and fully enjoy the car ;)

larissavv96 I wish our winter will be like yours...

I've got Michelin Alpin A5'2 & they are very good............:cool:

Also to protect your sump fit a VW full skid tray.......

My linky!

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

:cool:

Brix