GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 7 Recall 34F6

lusuiping

Hi buddies,

I jus got this recall letter two days ago and i dont know what to say about this.

Really, have no idea what happened. Is there anyone know about this issue and have done that repair already?

To be honest, i experience the gear box shudders( from stop to move ), it sounds like the gear box fail to change into the right gear. Still experience this after i brought the car back to the dealer two months ago and they could not find any faults according to them.

Attachments

• DSC_0740_copy.jpg
    DSC_0740_copy.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8,768
Last edited:

MisterB

Ready to race!
Hi mate. This is the same recall I posted about sometime ago. Here you can find all the information.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2577

Gear shudder when moving off or coming too a stop off throttle is normal for a DSG box. Most tend to forget this is NOT a conventional torque converter automatic, but essentially a manual box with automated clutches.

No worries there! :)

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Age I expect, 6speed is pretty damn old now: battle hardened.

Think they are build to a higher overall capacity too, can deal with a lot more torque etc, while the 7speed is closer to its limits on higher power cars: that benefit is overshaddowed by the 6speeds higher maintenance costs and poorer mpg... still, I like the 6speed; my only experience of the 7speed was in a 1.2tsi beetle rental so I can't really comment on it.

MisterB

Ready to race!
To be fair, the 6-speed DQ250 has its share of issues in the beginning as well, just not as magnified as the DQ200.

The 6-speed has also been around for a longer time, some five years before a lighter, 'dry clutch' 7-speed version was introduced to be applied to lower torque rating engines. It could very well be a design flaw, who knows? But the positive is that VW is at least trying to solve it, so lets hope this supposed fix will really prolong the lifespan of the box because quite simply, it is a really superb piece of kit.

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
So the new GTI, which is completely new in every way, has an old, high-maintenance gearbox?

Yeah, my GTD too, and my Mk6 2.0 140 TDI; I was told the 7speed just couldn't handle the torque of the bigger engines. its still a damn fine box, prefer it to newer non DSG boxes

I wouldn't be surprised if a few years down the line VW put a 8-9speed together and does away with both the 6 and 7speeds: 6speed gives them the knowledge on dealing with high power, 7speed gives them knowledge on efficiency.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Yup, the 7-speed is limited to a maximum torque of 250Nm (180 lb.ft) and the 6-speed, 350Nm (260 lb.ft).

ZF has already introduced a 9-speed automatic, so has Mercedes-Benz. Might not be long before dual-clutches head this direction.

lusuiping

Hi mate. This is the same recall I posted about sometime ago. Here you can find all the information.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2577

Gear shudder when moving off or coming too a stop off throttle is normal for a DSG box. Most tend to forget this is NOT a conventional torque converter automatic, but essentially a manual box with automated clutches.

No worries there! :)
oh greats mate! i will jump there to have a deep look.

lusuiping

Yeah, my GTD too, and my Mk6 2.0 140 TDI; I was told the 7speed just couldn't handle the torque of the bigger engines. its still a damn fine box, prefer it to newer non DSG boxes

I wouldn't be surprised if a few years down the line VW put a 8-9speed together and does away with both the 6 and 7speeds: 6speed gives them the knowledge on dealing with high power, 7speed gives them knowledge on efficiency.
ahha! For myself, i prefer efficiency. so i dont mind VW release an 8 or 9 speed gearbox.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'm not convinced that 7, 8 or 9-speed boxes are really necessary - 6-speed DSG always seemed fine.

The 7-speed on my Golf Mk7 is very smooth but I can't help wondering if the main reason for introducing it was oneupmanship on the part of Volkswagen which then spawned the 8-speed from the Bavarian Chav-mobile builders, etc.

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Another story I heard about the 6speed vs. 7speed was that when they designed the 6speed they wanted to give it a really long geared 6th, which would have meant a fairly long 1st gear. but when they actually came to test it the 1st couldn't deal with all situations (steep hills etc) so they had to shorten the 1st gear meaning they couldn't make the 6th as long as they'd like it to be. Hence the 7speed having 7, not just a new, 'dry' version of the 6speed.

All of this is just plausible 'Internet logic/rumour' though...