GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fault with passenger door mirror - not lowering while reversing

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Hi guys,

First post here - driver of a 2013 GTD I’ve had since brand new and will likely keep until it falls apart.

A couple of years ago, the car developed a strange behaviour involving the passenger door mirror when reverse is engaged.

I’ve always had the car configured to dip the mirror when reversing. However I noticed it starting to jar when I did this; it would begin to dip then after a certain point, it would begin to ping back - repeatedly.

Sometimes it will dip and get stuck. Or it doesn’t dip at all but when 1st is re-engaged it will move the same “distance” and end up pointing skywards.

A colleague observed it once and suggested it was a problem with mirror glass. He said it’s likely the glass had separated from the adhesive slightly and dropped a few mm, causing it to jam. Not long after he said this, the glass then dropped out of the mirror but even when it was replaced, the behaviour persisted.

What’s odd though is that, if I need to manually adjust the mirror, it’s absolutely fine? It moves freely through it’s entire range - I know this because I regularly have to re-position it, either so I can manoeuvre it or so I can drive normally.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?