GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver’s side axle

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Anyone ever replaced the driver’s side axle without these ‘plates’ and not run into any issues down the line?

My axle went and I replaced it with the AutoZone special which came with 6 new inner axle bolts and 1 new outer bolt..but didn’t come with those 3 plate things.

I have some ordered however I’m running the car now without them, so just curious if they’re super necessary or what’s the deal.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 24

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
They are there for a reason. Why didnt you reuse? I dont see a need to replace them.

That said youll likely be ok

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Your car didn't have them? I just reused them when removing axles in the past. I think they act as washers which is something id want on a critical part like your axle

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
So I’m not sure how exactly my axle went, however I lost two of the three plates/washers and their associated bolts when the axle lost connection to the transmission (I think the inner axle bolts backed out because I had re used them when I assembled everything together). There was some clanking, and the tranny case has a few scratches on it but no leaks that I could find thankfully.

I got a new set of those plates so I’ll just put em back in there with a new set of inner bolts. Was just curious if anyone has had any issues without them ~

Lessoned learned, don’t re use stretch bolts (which I think those are)

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
I've reused those bolts plenty of times- they are not stretch bolts.